The best way to spend a Saturday

WSC’s spring football game pits the offense against the defense

Brendan Buskirk, Staff Writer

The best time of the year has finally come.

The warmth has arrived and the cold has left.

School is coming to an end and summer is right around the corner.

For the Wayne State football team, this time of year means much more than that.

The spring game has finally arrived. Anticipations are high for Saturday morning’s game at 11 a.m. on the ‘Cat’s home turf, Bob Cunningham Field.

The set-up is similar to most spring games throughout the country.

Just as the ‘Cats have been practicing for the last month, the offense will compete against the defense.

The scoring system is still being tweaked and perfected, but for the most part the offense will receive points for touchdowns, first downs and field goals. The defense will receive points for fumble recoveries, interceptions and turnover on downs. The exact scoring system will be thoroughly explained before the game begins.

Aside from a few scrimmages, the players have been battling against each other for a month now without being able to let loose and hit in a game-like scenario.

Head video coordinator and the “eye in the sky,” Adam Svoboda, was a highly sought-after quarterback out of Creighton Prep who suffered a devastating knee injury his freshman year at WSC to end his career.

“Ryan Ludlow will run for 100 yards against a very tough defense,” Svoboda said. “The front seven on the defense will overwhelm the offense and control the game.” Ludlow, an All-American transfer from Peru State, will be splitting snaps with Alex Kline and Rashad Tremble.

The offensive line has different plans.

The ‘Cats have a relatively young offensive line, but what they lack in size they make up for in athleticism.

Sophomore and captain right guard Taylor Jensen has different plans than Svoboda’s predictions.

“The game starts up front. We need to be physical and open up holes for the running backs and give our quarterbacks time to throw,” Jensen said. “If we can do that, I like our chances.”

It doesn’t matter who says what because nobody really knows what will happen until Saturday.

One thing is for certain: it will be game a good one.