Earth Day celebrated at Wayne State College

Wayne State College is gearing up to celebrate Earth Day this year with the Go Green Club having activities planned all around campus.  

Earth Day is an annual event that takes place on April 22nd to support environmental protection and show commitment to the cause. This tradition began in 1970 and has occurred every year since then. Professor Laura Dendinger is the faculty sponsor for the Go Green Club.  

“Earth Day is a day to celebrate the accomplishments of folks who want to work together to improve the environment. We want to inform people about recycling, reusing, and repurposing. This really helps us create an impact because we are teaching others how to make small adjustments to help the environment” Dendinger said.  

“This year I was excited to participate in helping support the green school grants that are happening around the world. I donated to the Protect Our Planet Fund which was aiming to help teachers implement climate literacy as a core feature in school curriculum,” WSC student, Dexter Larson, said.  

This year, the Go Green Club has multiple events set up to celebrate. With the help of the Go Green Club and the Business Ethics classes, WSC hosted the first ever clothing swap. This took place on April 15th from 4 to 7 p.m. in the Frey Conference Suite. For students to participate, they brought items of clothing and were given tickets to swap with fellow students. Three rounds are taking place to make the process go smoothly. The first group started at 4 p.m., the second started at 5 p.m. and the last group started at 6 p.m. 

“This is a great way to practice reusing and repurposing our things rather than filling our landfills,” Dendinger said. The club is also working towards the Buy Nothing project, which is a community-based repurposing project run through social media. For more information on this new project, contact Dendinger for details.  

“There is always room for more people in the Go Green Club. If anyone is interested in joining, we meet bi-weekly in the Willow Bowl when the weather permits,” Dendinger said.