Women’s basketball faces tough competition last week

Nate Bope

Senior Ashley Gustavson fist-bumps sophomore Tate Norblade as Gustavson is introduced in the Wildcat’s starting lineup.

Jackson Kelley, Staff Writer

The Wayne State College Wildcat women’s basketball team lost to Minnesota State University and Concordia St. Paul on Feb. 10 and 11 in Wayne at the Rice Auditorium, bringing their record to 11-13 on the season whit 7-13 in conference. 

On Friday the 10 they lost to Minnesota State by 14 while having 28 turnovers to Minnesota State’s 14.  

The Wildcats started out the game shooting 68.8 percent in the first quarter (11-16). After the Wildcats got a lead of four, the Mavericks fought back to take the lead at 10-8 before a 6-0 run led MSU to take a timeout.  

The Wildcats and Mavericks traded baskets till the end of the first quarter where WSC had their largest lead of the game at 26-21. Maya Fitzpatrick scored nine points in the first quarter for the Wildcats. The Wildcats lead in three-pointers at 40% to the Maverick’s 16.67%. 

Early in the second quarter, the Wildcats kept their momentum going to bring their lead to eight with a Lauren Zacharias layup bringing it to 30-22 for the Wildcats.  

The Mavericks came back with a run of eight to tie the game at 30-30 with 8:32 left in the half. After a media timeout WSC lead by two at 32-30. Minnesota State came back with a 10-4 run to make it a one-point game with 4:33 left in the half.  

WSC pulled back to lead by seven making it 54-47. The Mavericks came back to end the half down by three (54-51). 

After the half the Wildcats got their largest lead of the game at nine points bringing it to 69-60 Wayne State with 6:16 left in the third quarter. Minnesota went on a 7-0 run bringing it within three points at 72-69 with less than three minutes in the third quarter. At the end of the third the Mavericks were up by one at 76-75. 

Minnesota State went on an 11-0 run with their biggest lead of the game at 87-75. The Minnesota State Mavericks took the win with a score of 94-80. 

Saturday, Feb. 11, the Wildcats took on Concordia-St. Paul. The Wildcats started off with an early lead of 6-3 after a Hughes three-pointer. Concordia-St. Paul went on a 3-0 run into the media timeout at the 3:34 mark. The Wildcats and Concordia-St. Paul went on 6-0 run tying the game at 13 a piece before Concordia-St. Paul made a shot with eight seconds in the first quarter. 

Concordia-St. Paul started the second quarter with a 4-0 run before Kassidy Pingel mad a three brining the Golden Bears lead to 19-16. CSP brought their lead to 23-18 at the media timeout with 4:34 left in the half. WSC ended the half on an 8-1 run making it 29-28 heading into the locker room.  

The Golden Bears brought their lead to 39-33 forcing the Wayne State Wildcats to take a timeout. CSP brought their lead to 12 points at its height in the third quarter. By the end of the third quarter the Wildcats went on a 6-0 run to end the quarter down by six at 50-44 CSP. 

A pair of free throws for Zacharias brought Wayne to within two points of CSP. It took WSC until the 4:09 mark to get back to within two points of CSP at 54-52. CSP called with a pair of baskets to bring their lead back up to six points. Concordia-St. Paul went to the line with 11 seconds left in the game and made both free throws to win the game 63-62. 

WSC plays next on Thursday, Feb. 16 against Sioux Falls in their final home game of the season. They then play on the road on Saturday, Feb. 18 against Southwest Minnesota State to end the regular season.