Polls

Best Overheard of the Week (01/19/2022)

• I'll be like my sister and catfish people on Farmersonly.com. She's a menace. (Upper Caf) (56%, 5 Votes)
  • It was like a wall of cheese smell. I couldn't even go in. (Humanities) (22%, 2 Votes)
  • Me being an introvert, I like to recharge my batteries. (Lower Caf) (11%, 1 Votes)
  • Dude, you guys were all over each other and I wanted to gag. (Lower Caf) (11%, 1 Votes)

Total Voters: 9

Loading ... Loading ...

Evening of Choirs celebrates beauty with four-set student performance

The Wayne State College will be hosting their Evening of Choirs concert with the theme, “On Beauty,” in Ley Theatre on Thursday, April 18 at 7:30 p.m.  

The concert will consist of four sets all revolving around beauty: Beauty of Whimsey, or Beauty of Love, Inner Beauty, Eternal Beauty and Beautiful Masterpieces. 

“The title ‘On Beauty’ comes from a piece called ‘Michelangelo’s On Beauty’,” Matthew Armstrong said, director of choirs at WSC.  

“It is a poem that he wrote and was set by composer and former Nebraskan Kurt Knecht. This fits in with the tribute to the departing choir members because of the quote, ‘So love and heavenly fire and counsel wise. The noble heart finds most in starlike eyes,’” Armstrong said.  

This concert will feature some of the students within the choir, whether they are conducting a song or accompanying them on the piano. Student conductors will include Emmett White, Christopher Woerdemann, Hannah Essink and Collin Price.  

White will be conducting a piece called “Clancy Lowered the Boom”. This piece became known after it was performed on Jack Benny’s radio program. It follows the stereotypical adventures of the Irish American character, Clancy, who “lowers the boom” on anyone who “gives him guff.” This song will be accompanied by Woerdemann on the piano. 

Woerdemann will be conducting an a cappella piece entitled, “Viva Tutti.” It is a cheerful piece in Italian that raises a salute the beautiful women. 

Essink will be conducting a song called, “Beautiful,” which was written by Linda Perry and recorded by Christina Aguilera. This song celebrates our innermost beauty and inspires one to shut out all negativity.  

“It’s a powerful text about determination and treating others well and how you react in life with determination when others don’t treat you well,” Armstrong said. “It’s kind of a timeless message.” 

Selected movements from “Hope is the Thing” will be conducted by Price. This piece centers around poems by Emily Dickinson, written to music by Emma Lou Diemer.  

“It’s introspective,” Armstrong said. “Images of nature, birds and bees and balls of yarn. But the central themes is hopes and fears centered on the passage of time.”