To pinch or not to pinch

Opinions divide on St. Patrick’s Day traditions

St. Patrick’s Day is seen by some as a holiday full of fun festivities and unique traditions, but others see it as a day filled with dread and offense.  

Credited for bringing Christianity to Ireland, St. Patrick was born in Britain before being sent to Ireland as a slave. St. Patrick’s Day is celebrated on March 17, the day the saint supposedly died. Since his death, St. Patrick’s holiday has changed through the centuries and taken on many traditions.  

America was really the reason this holiday gained more popularity and energetic festivities. Cities with large Irish populations began using the day to host parades, eat corned beef and cabbage, color rivers green and put up an endless number of three-leaf-clovers, and apparent symbol of the Holy Trinity.  

One tradition linked to the holiday is wearing green to avoid getting pinched. Folklore suggests green makes you invisible to leprechauns, so not wearing the color leaves you vulnerable. This is not a part of the holiday that all seem to enjoy though.  

I recently had a teacher comment about their dislike for some St. Patrick’s Day traditions. They said they’re not Irish, so they shouldn’t get punished for not wearing green. As an avid lover of green, I was shocked to hear someone say they didn’t use this holiday as an opportunity to sport the color and partake in fun with others.  

Wayne State College junior Kaitlyn Michaelson is another one of the passionate few who don’t care for the more aggressive festivities. “You don’t go up to someone and pinch them because they’re not wearing green,” she said. “It’s borderline assault. I wouldn’t even really pinch my friends.  

Some also find the religious background of to be off putting. Whether you enjoy this Irish day of fun or not, maybe wear some green this year. Just to be safe.  

$100
$500