Polls

Best Overheard of the Week (01/19/2022)

• I'll be like my sister and catfish people on Farmersonly.com. She's a menace. (Upper Caf) (56%, 5 Votes)
  • It was like a wall of cheese smell. I couldn't even go in. (Humanities) (22%, 2 Votes)
  • Me being an introvert, I like to recharge my batteries. (Lower Caf) (11%, 1 Votes)
  • Dude, you guys were all over each other and I wanted to gag. (Lower Caf) (11%, 1 Votes)

Total Voters: 9

Loading ... Loading ...

Woodwind Chamber Ensembles to be hosted by WSC music department

The Wayne State College music department will present the Woodwind Chamber Ensembles concert on Monday, April 15 at 7:30 p.m. in the Ley Theatre.  

Each of the ensembles will be directed by Dr. Karl Kolbeck, the professor of Woodwinds at Wayne State College. The concert will be livestreamed for those unable to attend.  

“The preparation for this concert started at the beginning of the semester once I knew the make-up of each ensemble,” Kolbeck said. “The biggest challenge we’ve faced this semester -everyone faced – was weather cancellations at the beginning of the semester since the groups only rehearse one day of the week,” Dr. Kolbeck said. 

The Woodwind Chamber Concert will include the Wayne State College Flute Choir, Clarinet Ensemble, and Saxophone Quintet, according to the WSC website. Each ensemble will play a total of three songs.  

“Each group has traditional work; lyrical work type work and each group will close with something more upbeat,” Dr. Karl Kolbeck said. Each ensemble consists of students. 

The Flute Choir consists of Aletha Breiner, Morgan Czajkowski, Hannah Essink, Kelsy Moeller, Reese Soukup, and Anna Wells. The Flute Choir will perform “Fanfare” by Deborah J. Anderson, “Down by the Salley Garden” by Herbert Hughes and arranged by Tracey Craig McKibben, and “The Mischievous Elves by Grant Horsley,” according to the Woodwind Chamber Ensemble handout. 

The Clarinet Ensemble consists of Tyler Baue, Josie Brezenski, Eva Kellogg, Taylor O’Dell, and Ariel Thompson. They will play “Bagatelle” by Clare Grundman, Loch Lomond, arranged by Kate Agiortis, and “Hoe Down” by Nigel Street, according to the Woodwind Chamber Ensemble handout. 

The lineup for the Saxophone Quintet consists of Grayson Bales, Kelsey Moeller, Cohan Pietz, Makena Ramirez, and Tresten Schwarz. The Quintet will play “Dancing Devil” by Jeffrey Ouper, “Summer” by Joe Hisashi, arranged by Tetsuya Yoshioka, and “Africa” by David Paich and Jeff Porcaro, arranged by Kate Agioritis. 

“It’s not just the concert itself, but the process leading up to it. Throughout the entire semester really helps the students grow as musicians,” Kolbeck said. “They learn a lot of valuable skills playing in smaller ensembles, independence of parts, and also the importance of every member’s role is within the ensemble. It takes a lot of teamwork to pull something off like this.”