Four WSC music students to perform in split instrumental, vocal recitals

Four Wayne State College students will be showing off their musical talents during their split recitals on April 13th in Ley Theatre.  

Kelsey Moeller, a WSC senior, and Josie Brezenski, a junior and Moeller’s recital partner, will be performing first at 11 a.m. with Moeller playing the flute while Brezenski plays the bass and soprano clarinet. At 3 p.m., senior Emmett White will be singing alongside junior Collin Price. White will be performing as a baritone while Price sings as a tenor.  

During these recitals, each performer will perform their own set of songs and a duet with their partner.  

“I’ll be performing ‘Concertino’ by Cecile Chaminade, ‘Sonata in G’ by C.P.E Bach, and ‘Spirit Flight’ by Katherine Hoover,” Moeller said. “Our duet is called ‘The Nightingale’ by Grant Horsley.” Both recitals will feature a variety of music ranging from classical to modern music.  

“I am performing works from Mozart, French art songs, a few “Bel Canto” style pieces, and many songs from a wonderful composer named Ralph Vaughan Williams,” White said.  

“I’m playing some romantic, classical, and 20th century music,” Brezenski said. “It’s stuff that was composed in the 1860’s and today. I have one that was written in 2020. I’m also performing an unaccompanied which means I have no piano and a lyrical B-flat clarinet part.” 

After multiple semesters of work, many of the students performing said doing this recital with their partner is a highlight of their college experience.  

“I get to share this recital with one of my closest friends, Collin Price,” White said. “I have been singing with him for the last 5 years since before we both transferred in from Iowa Western Community College.” 

“I’m excited to hear it in Ley Theatre,” Brezenski said. “I don’t get to practice there since we’re not in there anymore. Ley has great acoustics, so hearing my pieces up there will be great.” 

Brezenski and Moeller both said they encourage anyone who can to come and watch the performances. In addition, Brezenski said these recitals often have a small audience.  

“We don’t get a lot of attendance for these because it’s just our student recitals,” Brezenski said. “It’s not a big group we brought in, so it’s nice when others who aren’t music majors come in and listen.” 

“We love the support and hope people will come and watch,” Moeller said. “That’s the biggest thing about performing. We want support and to be able to share our music.”