Polls

Best Overheard of the Week (01/19/2022)

• I'll be like my sister and catfish people on Farmersonly.com. She's a menace. (Upper Caf) (56%, 5 Votes)
  • It was like a wall of cheese smell. I couldn't even go in. (Humanities) (22%, 2 Votes)
  • Me being an introvert, I like to recharge my batteries. (Lower Caf) (11%, 1 Votes)
  • Dude, you guys were all over each other and I wanted to gag. (Lower Caf) (11%, 1 Votes)

Total Voters: 9

Loading ... Loading ...

Wildcat softball split doubleheaders

A 2-2 weekend

The Wayne State College Wildcat softball team went 2-2 this past weekend, splitting doubleheaders against the Minnesota State Moorhead Dragons and the Northern State Wolves, and improving their record to 6-28 with a 2-8 record in Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference play. 

The drama this weekend kicked off early, as there was plenty of it in game one of a doubleheader on Friday, April 5 against the MSU Moorhead Dragons. The Dragons quickly got on the board off a Mack Gallagher double, which scored Lizzy Davis, who also doubled earlier in the inning. WSC answered the run in the fourth inning, as Jordyn Rochholz hit a lead off single, advanced to second on a fielder’s choice, stole third, and advanced home on an Emilee Marth line out to left field.

The Dragons retook the lead in the top of the sixth off an RBI single, and the offense sputtered for both sides until the Wildcats came up to the plate in the bottom of the seventh. Masyn Bunnell drew a walk to open the inning and was eventually moved to second off a Jordyn Klein ground out.

With two outs, Rochholz stepped up to the plate and drove Bunnell home with a single to right center to tie the game. Then, Lillie Timm stepped to the plate and ended the game with a two-run homer to left to secure the 4-2 Wildcat victory. 

Game two was another very competitive affair. MSU Moorhead struck first again with a two run first inning, and they added another run in the third. Payton Kincaid was able to answered one of those runs for the Wildcats with a homerun to center field, and Marth helped score another off an RBI double to bring home Timm.

The Dragons persisted on keeping their lead, as they added two in the fifth and three in the sixth to give some much-needed insurance, and take an 8-2 lead. WSC did not back away, as they rallied together for a five-run sixth. Mary Krystofiak, Lauren Laudick, Bunnell and Klein all earned RBI’s in the inning.

As the game moved to the final frame, the Dragons continued to push for insurance runs, and Gallagher hit a two-run homer to left to help seal the game, as the pitching staff shut the Wildcats down to secure a 10-7 win. 

The Wildcats took on the Northern State Wolves in another doubleheader on Saturday, April 6. Game one saw WSC get out to a hot start, as they took a 3-0 after one inning of play courtesy of a Krystofiak three-run homer to straight away center. However, the Wolves ended up answering all of those runs and then some, plating five runs in the fourth and three runs in the fifth to take an 8-3 lead.

Those eight runs included two three-run homers, one in each inning. Lexi Chase hit one in the fourth and Emma Owens did the same in the fifth. Laudick helped drove home a run for the Wildcats in the sixth, but that’s all WSC put up, as they suffered an 8-4 loss in game one. 

Game two saw less offense then game one, yet similar to game one, the Wildcats quicky started out game two by scoring two runs in the third courtesy of a Rochholz homerun to left field. The Wolves answered by scoring a run in the fourth after a throwing error by the Wildcats’ shortstop.

Yet, the Wildcats got that run right back after Dylan Sweeney hit a sacrifice fly to center, scoring Marth from third base. The pitching duo of Samantha Felt and Grace Lucka combined to throw all seven innings. Felt and Lucka each allowed only three hits while Felt struck out three in four innings of work and Lucka struck out four in three innings pitched. The two combined for only one run given up, which was an unearned run. Felt was credited with the win and Lucka was credited with the save. 

With the results around the NSIC, the Wildcats move into 12th place in the conference and are three games back of tenth place, which is where WSC needs to reach in order to get a spot in the conference tournament. 

WSC is set to begin a four-game road trip, where they will play eight games in six days, starting with the Southwest Minnesota State Mustangs on Wednesday, April 10. This weekend, the Wildcats will play Minnesota Crookston on Saturday, April 13 and Bemidji State on Sunday April 14, before finishing the road trip on Tuesday, April 16 with the Augustana Vikings. All series will be single day doubleheaders.