“Crowded Spaces” art exhibit embraces unity in variety with largest senior show

This semester’s art exhibit “Crowded Spaces” opens March 27 at 4:30 pm in the Nordstrom Art Gallery. The exhibition showcases themes of mental health, identity, childhood and culture, and pieces created by students graduating at the end of the semester will be on display in the library.  

The art exhibit is special for many reasons, the first being the number of works displayed. “Crowded Spaces” has the most students displayed for a senior exhibit in the history of the gallery. A total of eight students’ artwork will be presented including the works of Gracie Beddow, Emilia Goestch, Miranda Roth, Zaynab Kouatli, Autumn Nies, Rachel Nissen, Gabriel Perez and Robert Van Heufeln.  

“There’s so much variety yet unity at the same time,” artist Zaynab Kouatli said.  

At the beginning of the semester, the students gathered their artwork and had peers pick the top five pieces to display on each artist’s personal display wall. Synergy is an important aspect of art galleries, and the artists picked out work that goes together color-wise and size.  

“I think it’s important to each individual and all of us because it showcases our progress and growth throughout our time here,” Roth said. “It’s important to be viewed regardless of whose art it is and what it represents.” 

The exhibit highlights the work these people have been working on throughout their years at Wayne State.  

With art being open to interpretation, the themes of this semester’s exhibit have a little bit of something for everyone to relate to. You will see artists expressing themes of religion, culture, mental health, identity, childhood and the absurd.  

“My work explores my Arab identity seen through the lens of activism,” Kouatli said. 

Since a variety of artwork is on display, people are bound to find a piece they enjoy or connect with. 

“A lot of people can connect with any of the themes that are going on in the exhibit,” Roth said.  

The art exhibit opens on Mar. 27th at 4:30 pm in the Nordstrom Art Gallery and will remain open-ended throughout the semester within the gallery hours. The opening will also supply snacks and drinks for any visitors.  

“I don’t think you’re gonna be able to walk out of the exhibit without having at least one piece that you have fallen in love with,” said Kouatli. 

$100
$500