Calkin to perform in faculty recital

Josh Calkin, director of bands, will be performing in a Faculty Recital at 7:30 p.m. in Ramsey Theater, Peterson Fine Arts, on Tuesday, March 19. 

Admission for this performance is free. Performing solo on his tuba, Calkin will be playing five pieces: “New England Reveries,” by Neal Corwell, “Triumph of the Demon Gods,” by Jon Stevens, “ElevenTwelve,” by Joanna Ross Hersey, “Journey,” by Brian Sadler and “The Robots are Taking Over,” by Brooke Pierson. 

The frequency of these recitals varies depending on the faculty member.  

“It depends on the individual faculty. Some of us perform once per semester, some of us once a year. Some music faculty do not do performances as a focus, and so they do not do concerts at all,” Calkin said. 

Calkin said one of the main things going through his head is trying to find time to practice for his recital between his busy schedule and being the dad to a toddler.  

Throughout the semesters, there have been multiple faculty recitals advertised.  

“Some of the faculty members studied performance in their postgraduate education and value performing. Others focused on areas of music like education, composition, or business. Those faculty members may not perform as much, if at all. I typically present recitals each semester,” Calkin said. Other faculty members that present frequent recitals are Michael Genslinger on trumpet, Dr. Karl Kolbeck on clarinet, Dr. Sarah Farr, and Dr. Matthew Clegg, who are both vocalists, and Dr. Angela Miller-Niles on piano, Calkin said. 

$100
$500