Marketing company helps WSC student start business

After starting his very own business earlier this year, Wayne State College freshman Daniel Turner has big plans to keep his momentum going. 

Turner tossed around the idea of starting his own business for a while, but it came to fruition earlier this year when he was told about the direct-selling business Amway. The company distributes its array of products to Amway independent business owners worldwide, such as Turner. 

“They’re the ones that make the products and bring them over into my business, and then I make the sale and promote it,” Turner said. “Amway brings over the products and I sell them. Now I have them hooked into promoting them on social media and advertising.”  

As a direct-selling company, Amway’s products are sold exclusively through its independent business owners. This means it does not get the same recognition as traditional brands. Turner found a way to promote a fragrance from Amway and sell it through his own business, Aurora Classic.  

“Out of nowhere I thought I’d do a photoshoot to promote this fragrance line,” Turner said. “I got together with my business team to let them know what I had in mind. When I first mentioned it to them, they said no. I didn’t make the fragrance, so in a way it’s shaming the company who provided me with this product. I was really disappointed that day but figured, I’m not going to give up on this.”  

Eventually, Turner was given the green light to proceed with the photoshoot. It turned out to be a great success, and Turner was invited to present the photos at the Amway Center in Orlando, Florida. 

He is also currently planning another shoot for a new energy drink. 

“It’s more of an advertisement for the energy drinks because these are brand new energy drinks,” Turner said. “Amway has agreed to let me do this, and they will put it on their website as well. It will be something brand new and there will finally be a face to it.” 

Although very new to the business world still, Turner has already found success. He is targeting an August release date for his very own brand, Aurora Classic Fashion. As a prelaw student with a minor in business, he has begun to think about what the future holds for his career. 

“If this really takes off, does really well and is successful, I will get a degree and still think about law school, but it will just be off to the side for a time being and I will just deal with this,” Turner said.