The endless assumptions of college majors

Throughout my time at Wayne State College, I’ve noticed that people like to assume.  

Whether that be assuming someone’s major, what they do in their free time, whether they’re in a relationship or not and so on. At the end of the day, one of our favorite past times is making assumptions about others without looking into what they might be doing outside of our opinionated minds.  

With that being said, I decided to take a closer look into account the assumptions of majors, particularly what students assume about other majors, and what they think others assume about their majors. After visiting with a few individuals around campus, I gathered a little bit of information to prove my previous point that we love to assume things about others. All individuals, for the sake of confidentiality, will remain anonymous.  

After visiting with a biology and applied human and sports physiology major, this individual assumes that elementary education majors “never have homework.” In addition, this person expects others to assume students in their major are always studying.  

A family and consumer science education major assumes people think everyone in their field does nothing but “cook, sew, draw pictures and act like children all day.” On the flipside, this student assumes that STEM majors always feel bad about themselves for the workload they are given.  

A business administration-management major assumes that communications majors “don’t do anything,” and assumes other students think they “do nothing but color in pages and look at graphs.” 

I am a double major in business administration-management and communications studies. I assume, like the last student I visited, that people believe communications studies majors don’t learn anything in class.  

My assumption is that no matter what a student is majoring in, everyone is going to have their own opinions, but that doesn’t discount the work every individual is putting into their classes. No matter what the work looks like.