After half-century at Hahn, she’s ready for registrars sainthood

Lynette Lentz will retire at the end of the semester after working in the same office for 49 years

Laura Anderson

Lynette Lentz has spent the last 49 years in Hahn helping students with enrollment and more.

Brenden Buskirk, Staff Writer

The revolution of technology has been a wild and incredible ride for Wayne State registrar Lynette Lentz.

In 1966, when Wayne State students gathered in Rice Auditorium to sign up for classes, each department had its own table with a limited amount of permits.

The students would then go around to the classes they wanted and grab a permit. Once a table ran out of permits, that class was closed.

In 1987, registration was made easier for all parties by switching to a new, high-tech computer system. The students attended registration, which now took place in the Student Center, and signed up by hand. Registrars then manually entered every bit of information into the new computer system.

Last Tuesday, April 7, was the first day of student enrollment for fall classes. Within the first 50 minutes of enrollment, 408 students were able to successfully register.

What used to take hours, even days, for the registration office to conquer, is now available for students to accomplish from the comfort of their own homes right at their fingertips, with the simple click of a button.

This April will mark the 49th consecutive year Lentz has been a member of the Wildcat family.

“It has been my life,” Lentz said, recapping her fulfilling career.

Upon completion of this semester, Lentz will be officially retired from Wayne State College. The mark she left on her colleagues, administration and the college as a whole is unprecedented.

“I have worked with Lynette for 25 years. She has a unique gift of being able to work in records, as well as working well with people. A lot of times you have to tell people what they don’t want to hear,” Karla Hix, assistant registrar, said.

“Lynette is consistently humble, brilliant and nice to everyone she meets. She treats every person fairly and has earned a great deal of respect,” Hix continued. “In 25 years, I have not heard her say one bad word about anyone. Lynette was more dedicated to Wayne State than anyone I have ever met. If there was a sainthood for registrars, she would be inducted.”

Lentz has accomplished a lot in her 49 years. She served under eight presidents and three interim presidents for WSC. The only office she has ever worked in is the office she still resides in today.

She has been a charter member for Wayne Educational Office Professionals Association (WEOPA) since it was first founded.

“These are the ones responsible for the cookies in Hahn for fee payment time. The college buys the cookies from us, and that money goes to our scholarship, the WOEPA scholarship,” Lentz said.

“The most rewarding part of my job is working with VA benefits and the GI bill and to have the ability to assist these students for the right benefits they deserve. Military students hold a special place in my heart.”

When asked about her accomplishments, she responded, “I have the best staff ever. They are wonderfully supportive and I couldn’t do what I do without them. All of the staff, faculty and administration are amazing. Such great people everywhere.”
As for retirement, Lentz plans to catch up on lost time with her family.

“My job has been a high priority in my life for all of these years. Sometimes I had to put off fun things because of deadlines or priorities. I’m excited to spend time with my family and grandchildren and can’t wait for all of us to spend more time on the river,” Lentz said, referring the lot her family owns on the Missouri River.

Starting as a stenographer/clerk II in 1966, Lentz has played a large role in evolving Wayne State into the great college that it is today.

Lentz will be missed significantly, but more importantly, will always be appreciated for the person she was and how she treated others.

Wayne State thanks you, Lynette Lentz.