Not Dunn Yet

Senior thrower wins NSIC, qualifies for nationals

Photo by Siera Zach

Bryan Dunn celebrates after winning the NSIC weight throw competition.

Cody Kralicek, Staff Writer

“Your time to shine.”

This was the theme for this year’s NSIC indoor track and field championships at Minnesota Mankato last Friday and Saturday. Senior thrower Bryan Dunn did just that, winning the weight throw by two inches on his final throw.

“It was a dream come true winning conference and getting to go to nationals,” Dunn said. “I’ve been putting in the work since my freshman year and now it has paid off in the best way possible.”

NSIC teams competed over the two days to decide who was the best of the best in the conference, and Dunn proved that he was the best.

With the throw of 61’9 ¾, Dunn was crowned conference champion with All-NSIC honors and a trip to Pittsburg, Kan., for the 2016 NCAA Division II indoor track and field championships.

“Going into this training week before nationals coach Suckstorf will be having me do some new drills in practice that will hopefully help me improve and bring home a medal,” Dunn said.

Sophomore Josh Spenner also received All-NSIC honors with a third-place finish in the pole vault with the height of 15’7”, which was a personal best and NCAA provisional mark.

Other Wildcats to receive medals for their respective events were Braxton Adams, fourth in the 60m dash (6.90); Kyndra Sturm, fifth in weight throw (54’9 ¼”) and Nick Schmit, sixth in the 1,000m run (2:37.23).

Men’s 4x400m relay team of Clay Kramper, Trenton Zink, Nate Lechenberg and Schmit came in seventh in 3:26.86. The women’s 4x400m relay team of Kelsey Dietrich, Melissa Kroll, Rachel Rauner and Ellen Wulf finished eighth in 4:02.16.

The men’s distance medley relay team of Schmit, Brandon Marker, Joey Black and Nick Fly finished seventh in 10:48.95.

“We had some exciting performances from our relays and some individuals,” head coach Marlon Brink said. “The highlight, however, was Bryan Dunn winning a conference championship in the 35-pound weight throw on the last throw of the competition.

That was a classic moment in WSC track and field history and know Bryan is ranked 13th in the nation going into nationals.”