Music and strange twists: the ‘Rocky Horror’ experience

Kayla Mathewson, Staff Writer

“Rocky Horror Picture Show” offeres an out-of-this-world movie experience with great songs and fun dances for viewers to enjoy.

The movie starts off with Brad Majors (Barry Bostwick) asking Janet Weiss (Susan Sarandon) to be his bride and singng a song about it. I’m not sure how I felt about Susan Sarandon’s voice, but this movie isn’t meant to be taken too seriously.

The couple finds a creepy-looking castle, and the first person they meet is Riff-Raff (Richard O’Brien). He is a hunchback with a receding hairline and an overall creepy look.

Riff-Raff tells them that they came on a very special night, and then Brad and Janet follow Riff-Raff to this white room. They meet a bunch of brightly dressed groupies at a Transylvanian Convention, and also meet Dr. Frank-N-Furter (Tim Curry), who calls himself a transvestite from Transsexual, Transylvania.

Frank-N-Furter starts going on about how he made this creation, or “the secret to life itself,” which is when we meet Rocky. He comes out of this box wearing gold short shorts, and is built rather nicely. The songs at this point are catchy, and the entire theater had gotten up to dance to the song “Time Warp” which was very enjoyable.

Brad and Janet are taken to separate bedrooms where they are both visited and seduced by Frank, who poses as Brad (when visiting Janet) and then as Janet (when visiting Brad). A very upset Janet wanders off to look for Brad, who she discovers is in bed with Frank. She then discovers Rocky, cowering in his birth tank, hiding from Riff Raff, who has been tormenting him. She sees that Rocky is injured and tends to his wounds, asking him to touch her while doing so.

After discovering that Rocky is missing, Dr. Frank returns to the lab with Brad and Riff Raff, where Frank discovers an intruder has entered the building. Brad and Janet’s old high school science teacher, Dr. Everett Scott, has come looking for his nephew, Eddie. Frank starts to think that Dr. Scott looks for UFOs for the government.

Discovering Brad and Janet’s connection to Dr. Scott, Frank suspects them of working for him. Frank, Dr. Scott, Brad, and Riff Raff then discover Janet and Rocky together under the sheets in Rocky’s birth tank, upsetting Frank and Brad. Magenta (Patricia Quinn), who is one of Dr. Frank’s maids, interrupts the reunion by sounding a massive gong and stating that dinner is prepared.

The dinner is very awkward as Janet and Brad are both in their underwear, and Dr. Scott isn’t fully aware that his nephew is dead.

That is, until the group realizes that the entrée for the night is Eddie’s remains.

Janet panics and runs to Rocky’s arms for comfort, which puts Dr. Frank in a jealous rage.

Janet and Dr. Frank run around the big castle, and then everyone (everyone meaning Brad, Janet, Rocky, Dr. Scott and a side character named Colombia) manages to meet in the lab once again, where the Medusa Transducer captures them. They are transformed into nude statues, and then forced to perform a musical number with Dr. Frank.

In the end, they release Brad, Janet, and Dr. Scott, and then depart by lifting off in the castle itself. The survivors are then left crawling in the dirt.

Overall, I thought this movie was quite interesting, but a little confusing. You definitely have to have an open mind when it comes to this movie. I’m not much of a fan for 70s movies (this was made in 1975), but I thought “Rocky Horror Picture Show” was an enjoyable movie overall.

The audience was very involved with this movie, by shouting random things and singing along with the movie. If you don’t mind musical numbers and weird twists, then this is definitely for you.