New Wildcat runner no stranger to records

Justin Yost, Staff Writer

Dunlap, Iowa native Melissa Kroll has had quite a journey to get to Wayne State.
Kroll was a five-sport athlete in high school.

She excelled in track and cross country, setting her school record in the 400 with a mark of 60.96 seconds.

Kroll decided to attend her freshman year of college at Loras College in Dubuque.
“I loved Loras campus and kind of wanted to be far away from home. Loras was five hours from home, so it felt like a great place to be,” Kroll said.

Kroll had a great freshman year running track and cross country, but she started to feel home sick and missed her two younger brothers.

“Aiden had just turned two and JJ was 10. I wanted to be closer so I could be there for them. I was also about to become an aunt, so I decided to come back,” Kroll said.

She started looking for schools that were closer to home and found Midland.

She spent her sophomore year at Midland, where she broke the 600 indoor record with a time of one minute 42 seconds.

She is also a top 10 athlete in the 200 and 400.

Having spent two years at private schools, Kroll was having trouble paying for college then she found Wayne, which was less expensive.

The scholarships she receives for track from her home town bank pay for tuition at Wayne.

“Wayne is a great place. It’s close to home and cheap. I love the campus and the people I have met here so far,” Kroll said.

Kroll will be redshirting this track season and will have two more years of eligibility at Wayne State.