Wildcat softball goes on a spring break voyage

The Wildcat softball team took an 11-day spring break trip going to Missouri and Florida where they competed in 12 games.  

During this trip, the team saw different competition than usual in the Midwest and picked up three wins. Christy Warnock, the head softball coach, found the competition to be very mixed on this trip. “One of the coolest parts about the trip is that we get to see teams we do not normally see in the rest of our tournaments,” said Warnock. “We get to play teams that are spread across the country, especially from the east coast and down south.” 

The team picked up three wins during the trip against College of Staten Island 7-6, Quincy 3-2, and Saint Anselm College 6-1.  

Annika Manzanares, who plays 3rd base on the team, found the competition to be solid. “We faced stronger and weaker teams,” Manzanares said. 

Warnock wanted the team to focus on putting all three facets (offense, defense, and pitching) together during this trip. “We have had a few games where we have had one of those things working, but not the others,” Warnock said. “We have been focusing on making sure we get all working at the same time; pictures keeping us in games, the defense making plays, and the offense getting base runners on and scoring.”  

This was the longest trip that the team took for the season, and it can take a toll on the team to stay focused for the games. “It is really hard having two back-to-back road trips,” Manzanares said. “For me, traveling is stressful enough and now you have to make sure you have all your equipment and clothes.” 

Warnock knows traveling is difficult but it does become something the athletes get used to. “It is part of the college game and we make sure that they are taken care of so they have less to worry about when they travel,” Warnock said.  

This trip is held over spring break so the team is not missing school but they do not have the opportunity to go anywhere. Warnock says that they try to have fun on this trip but it is also important to focus on the game. “We want them to have the opportunity to enjoy themselves while we are in Florida, but it is a business trip.” 

The Wildcats will be at home this weekend playing two double hitters. On Saturday, March 23 they will play University of Mary, and on Sunday, March 24 verse Minot State. Going forward, the team wants to continue to build momentum. “Everything up to this point has been preparation for this next month’s worth of games,” Warnock said. “We are looking forward to how this team competes in the coming weeks.”  

$100
$500