Wildcat golf hits the course for the spring season

After a very successful fall season, the Wayne State College women’s golf team began their spring season this March, wrapping up the Saddlebrook Spring Kickoff in Wesley Chapel, Florida and the Holiday Inn Express Classic in St. Joseph, Missouri. 

The Saddlebrook Spring Kickoff, from Thursday, March 7 to Saturday, March 9 saw eight universities travel to Florida to compete at the Saddlebrook Golf Resort. The Wildcats wound up taking fourth place at the event, with a total team score of 973, shooting rounds of 328-322-323, which led to a +109 score. WSC finsihed just five strokes behind the third place finisher of Winona State. Marian University and Regis University finished at first and second respectively. 

The Wildcats had three top ten finishers, led by Jazmine Taylor, who shot 238 with rounds of 82-76-80, finishing with a score of +22. That tied her for fourth place overall. Saffire Sayre finished tied for eighth with rounds of 81-79-80, leaving her with a score of 240 or +24. Abbey Kurmel was the lone finisher for tenth place, finishing with rounds of 80-82-79, with an overall score of 241 or +25. 

Other Wildcat finishers included Tricia Herman at 24th with a final score of 254 or +31, Abby Broderson, finishing at 27th with a three-round total of 262 or +42, and Hailey Kenkel, who shot 275 or +59, which placed her 34th. 

On Monday, March 25, the Wildcats competed in the Holiday Inn Express Classic, which was cut short one day due to weather conditions. Overall the lone 18 holes, the Wildcats had a total score of 320 or +32, which placed them at sixth place for the tournament. The Wildcats were only one stroke behind Iowa Western Community College and just three strokes off placing in the top three. Augustana won the overall team round with a team score of 300 or +12. 

Taylor once again was the top finisher for the Wildcats, shooting a round of 77 on the par 72 course. That +5 finish tied her for tenth place overall. Kurmel, Broderson, and Erica Lee, who participated just as an individual, all tied for 20th with a score of +8. Sayre finished 30th with a score of +11 and Hemann finished tied for 35th with a score of +15. 

The Wildcats’ next meet is slated to be from Monday, April 15 to Tuesday, April 16, as they will host the Wildcat Classic, set to be held at the Wayne Country Club just behind the campus of WSC. 

$100
$500