Wildcats men’s basketball goes 1-1 on the road

Oscar Velez, Staff Writer

This past Friday, the Wildcats men’s Basketball team traveled to Fayette, Iowa to take on the Upper Iowa Peacocks. It would be a rematch of the December 18 game in which the Wildcats hosted the Peacocks and won a close one, 86 to 77.   

The Wildcats were up big at halftime with the score being 36-18.  

In the second half, the Cats looked to continue to roll over the Peacocks. The Cats led by as much as 20 in the second half. As the half continued, Upper Iowa went on a run cutting into the big lead the Cats had. With 2:19 left on the clock, the Peacocks hit a mid-range jumper to cut the lead to just three. The Cats were up 63-60 at that point.  

Senior Nick Ferrarini drove to the basket with 49 seconds left and scored a heavily contested layup to get the Cats lead to five.  

The Peacocks of Upper Iowa never reached within three points for the rest of the game. With free throws from sophomores Justin Eagins and Sean Stokes, the win was sealed for the Wildcats 

The rematch proved to be no different as the Wildcats took the win, 69 to 61. 

Four different Wildcats finished in double figures. Fifth year players Jordan Janssen and Ferrarini both poured in 17 points to lead the Cats in the win. Nate Mohr and Eagins both contributed 11 points. Janssen was one rebound shy of collecting a double-double. 

The following day, the Wildcats traveled up north to Winona, Minnesota to face Winona State. This was the second meeting between the two teams and Wayne State men’s basketball team hoped to sweep the regular season series after winning 81 to 72 in the first meeting. The Wildcats hosted the Wazoos at Rice Auditorium back in December.  

In the first half of the game, the Wildcats controlled the game, and it looked as if they would go 2-0 on the season against the Wazoos. Cats were up 32-29 at half.  

The second half of the game turned out to be an intense one as teams traded lead changes constantly. There was total of 15 lead changes in the game with no team able to pull away as time expired.  

At the 4:47 mark, with the game tied at 57, Winona State hit a corner three to put them up 57-54. The WSC Wildcats were not able to regain their lead for the remainder of the second half. With the clock at 25 seconds, the Cats were able to get within one point but couldn’t find a way to get past Winona.  

The score ended with Winona State 67 and Wayne State 63. 

Once again, four Wildcats ended in double digits. Mohr poured in four three-pointers and ended the game with a team high of 17 points. Janssen and Ferrarini both scored 14 points each with Janssen once again being one rebound short of a double-double. Sophomore Cody McCullough helped the Wildcats with 11 points and nine rebounds. Elijah Watson ended up with three points and Eagins with two.  

The WSC Wildcats will return to Rice Auditorium for back-to-back games after a four-game road trip. On Friday, Feb. 10, the Cats will host Minnesota State and will look to even out the season series after falling to the Mavericks earlier in the season.  

The following night, the Wildcats men’s basketball team will take on Golden Bears of Concordia St. Paul. The first meeting between the two teams was in early December with the Cats running away with a 77 to 73 win. The Wildcats plan on sweeping the Golden Bears this regular season. Friday’s game will begin at 5:30 p.m. while Saturday’s match will begin at 3:30 p.m.