Wildcats Defeat Minnesota State During Final Game of the Regular Season

John Campbell, Sports Editor

Wayne State College completed their regular season on a high note, defeating Minnesota State Moorhead 10-7.  

The win put the Wildcats into the NCCA regional tournament, a tournament the Cats have not seen in over 10 years.  

The game started slowly with four turnovers within the first five drives. In the first quarter, the lone score of the game came from Anthony Watkins on a six-yard rush, following with a PAT from Alex Powders- to put the cats up 7-0 with five minutes left in the first quarter.  

The next score would not come until early in the second quarter, after driving down the field the Wildcats found themselves on the 22-yard line, where Powders made the field goal and put the Wildcats up 10-0. 

The next points would not be put onto the board till late in the third, when MSUM quarterback Luke Imdieke would rush four yards into the end zone, making the score 10-7 going into the fourth.  

However, while the offense was scoring the points, it was the defense that won the game. The defense, credited with six sacks and three interceptions, led the defense by Alex Kowalczyk, Luke Simms and Cooper Tanner, combining for 14 solo tackles. 

The Egg Bowl MVP was awarded to sophomore Simms, having 10 total tackles, three sacks and a forced fumble. 

The Wildcats head into the postseason traveling to Minnesota, to match up against the Minnesota State Mavericks on Nov. 19.