Annual Scholarship Audition days coming up

Maddie Genoways, Staff Writer

The department of music hosted its annual scholarship audition days for incoming freshmen on Feb. 11 and March 18 in the Peterson Fine Arts Building. 

These two audition days give new students hoping to get involved in the music program a chance to show their skill and get to know their future professors. Since Wayne State College is open enrollment, these auditions are used to award scholarships instead of entry into the music program, Music Department Chair Angela Miller-Niles said. Auditions were open to all incoming students interested in the music program and not just music majors. 

In addition to potential scholarship access, these auditions also allowed new students to get familiar with the music department.  

Most of the music faculty is involved, either through listening to the auditions or accompanying them,” Miller-Niles said. “We also have a ‘meet the faculty’ session so students and families can meet us and learn about the program.” 

Along with future faculty, auditioners also met current students in the WSC National Association for Music Education chapter, who helped guide them around campus.  

“[NAfME] also holds a student panel session where auditioning students can ask questions about college life,” Miller-Niles said. “They also have a hospitality room for students and families.”  

Matthew Armstrong, associate professor and director of choral activities, said this year’s auditions went over well.  

“We heard some very good voices in person as well as recorded auditions,” Armstrong said. “In addition to good singing, many students had strong academic records that indicate a high chance of future success here…WSC students create a warm and welcoming atmosphere and the prospective students fit in well.” 

Miller-Niles said she believes this year’s event was successful.  

“We had 17 auditions in February and about 25 in March,” Miller-Niles said. “Auditioning students are potential music majors, minors, or just participants- people who plan to major in something else but want to be in band or choir for fun.” 

Audition days are just one of the ways the music department encourages involvement among different studies and departments.  

“We encourage people to be involved with music even if they are majoring in something else,” Miller-Niles said.