WSC Track and Field Team Alter Practices

Maddi Glause, News Writer

Wayne State College Track and Field team altered their practice methods, after having not participated in the Mount Marty Opener meet due to covid reasons.

The NCAA has rules regarding the number of covid cases, and thus, due to several covid cases and exposures, the WSC track team did not make it to the Mount Marty Opener January 15th at Yankton, South Dakota.

Due to the number of cases, the team not only cancelled the Mount Marty Opener meet, but they also took some time away from practices, according to team member Brooklynn Chipps.

Chipps also admitted that she was bummed about not going but hopes this will be the only time this happens to the team. Practices were then altered in preparation for the SDSU invite and future meets.

Track and Field Coach Marlon Brink said that they are doing the best they can to try and get the students ready by doing with their event coaches and work around the missing athletes, trying to help everyone do the best they can so they can stay focused for the upcoming meets.

Brink said that he feels all the athletes and coaches are doing a good job of trying to stay focused on getting ready.

Chipp said that practices were a little different because there were still some COVID things being situated, but she did not want to let the changes affect her and tried to keep it as normal as possible.

The team was able to go to the SDSU invite Friday January 21st, however, they did not have a full roster still due to COVID cases on campus according to Brink.

Chipps said that she was super excited to go up to SDSU. She also said they have a beautiful indoor track and that she always enjoys competing up there.