Final Musical Performances

Erin Schwager, News Writer

With the fall semester quickly wrapping up, there will be some final musical performances going on around campus and the Wayne community that students and staff are encouraged to attend.

On Wednesday, Dec. 1, the WSC Music Department will present the Mariachi Negro y Oro event in the WSC Music Annex of the Praise Assembly of God building at 1000 East 10th St. in Wayne at 7:30 p.m. There will be many instrumental pieces like trumpet, violin, and guitar. There will also be solos performed by Luke Jacobs, Lexie Jackson, Juan Vargas Rafael, and Samantha Camarena Jimenez. The performance will be directed by Josh Calkin. The performance is free and open to the public.

A jazz ensemble performance will take place on Thursday, Dec. 2 in the WSC Music Annex of the Praise Assembly of God building at 7:30 p.m. The event is open to the public and free. It will be directed by Jesse McBee. The event will also include solos from Austin Burkhardt, Channing Walden, Wynter Fulsaas, Jacob Pedersen, Lane McRoberts, Kiernan Baker, Alexander Kesting, Luke Jacobs, and Haley Richstein. There will be many more songs performed that night as well.

“Jazz band is an awesome ensemble to be a part of at WSC,” Jacob Pedersen, a member of the jazz band, said. “The professors always choose music that is fun to play as well as musically challenging, and I hope everyone comes out and enjoys the jazz concert on Dec. 2.”

On Friday, Dec. 3 at 7:30 p.m., there will be a string ensemble in the Ley Theatre of the Brandenburg Education Building. The event will be free and open to the public. There is also an option for the concert to be livestreamed on the college’s webpage. The performance will be directed by Jordyn Irlmeier and will include some well-known songs like “Orpheus in the Underworld” and “Maelstrom.”

There will be two holiday choir concerts coming up. On Saturday, Dec. 4, festivities begin with a dessert concert at Our Savior Lutheran Church in Wayne. Vel’s Bakery and Catering will be served from 4 to 4:50 p.m. with the concert following. If there happens to be inclement weather, the concert will take place at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 10 with desserts after the concert. The second concert will be a dinner concert that takes place on Sunday, Dec. 5. at The Beaumont in Wayne at 5 p.m. The concert will follow the meal, which will consist of salad, grilled tenderloin or eggplant parmesan, rosemary roasted potatoes, vegetable sauté, and gourmet chocolate mousse.

If there is inclement weather, the dinner concert will be rescheduled for 5 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 12. The carols will be directed by Matthew Haakenson, and the choirs will be conducted by Matthew Armstrong. There will be limited seating for these two concerts. Tickets were available to purchase at a prior date, but for more ticket information, contact Melissa Derechailo at (402) 375-7480.

The brass and percussion ensembles will take place Monday, Dec. 6 at the WSC Music Annex of the Praise Assembly of God building in Wayne at 7:30 p.m. There will be several brass selections of songs played. This event is free and open to the public. Josh Calkin and Brad Weber will be the directors of the night.

On Tuesday, Dec. 7, there will be a student conductors’ concert at 7:30 p.m. in the city auditorium located on 220 S Pearl St. in Wayne. Both the symphonic band and wind ensemble will be performing. The concert is free and will be open to the public.

“We have this concert to allow music students in the instrumental conducting class to have the experience of directing a real band,” Laynee Merrill, a member of the symphonic band, said. “The conducting students all choose a piece that they will conduct, and we play under their direction.”

The honors recital will take place on Thursday, Dec. 9 at 7:30 p.m. in the WSC Music Annex of the Praise Assembly of God building in Wayne. The event is free and open to the public. The recital will celebrate musical excellence for students nominated by faculty for this performance.

There will be a student recital on Saturday, Dec. 11 at 3 p.m. in the Ley Theatre of the Brandenburg Education Building. This recital will feature sopranos Brittani Beegle and Sarah Wibben.

The President’s Holiday Gala – Black and Gold Performing Arts Series will take place on Sunday, Dec. 12 at 2 p.m. in the Rice Auditorium. The doors will open at 1:30 p.m., and the event is open to the public at no cost. The Gala will have choirs, instrumental ensembles, and audience sing-alongs. WSC President, Marysz Rames, will be sponsoring a reception after the concert.

These musical performers work exceptionally hard practicing with their professors for these performances and create life-long memories in doing so.

“Playing in the wind ensemble is an extraordinary and unforgettable experience,” Alexis Tolliver, a member of the wind ensemble, said. “I love being able to play among so many other gifted musicians.”