WSC Fiction Slam returns after long hiatus

Callie Hurley, News Writer

The longest running fiction slam in Nebraska is open to anyone on campus and in the community to share their flash fiction work on Dec. 9, at the Max Bar and Grill in Wayne, NE.

Due to Covid-19 this event and others have not happened for two years and the English and literature department is very excited to start the event up again.

Chad Christensen, professor and editor of the WSC Press, said although he does not directly host this event, a lot of work goes into it and it’s a great event.

“It’s a fun event, its off campus, so it’s kind of relaxed,” Christensen said. “All types of majors, even if you aren’t attending Wayne, its open to everybody.”

Anyone is encouraged to come to the event. Sometimes people from even Lincoln and Omaha come to compete, it’s very widely known.

Sharon Carr, an adjunct professor who oversees the event, said the event is a competition and also for fun. It’s a chance for those who enjoy writing to read their work to a live audience. It is a little competitive, but it’s really fun.

This event is hosted at Max Bar and Grill, 109 Main St, Wayne, NE. Registration opens up at 7 p.m., and the reading start at 7 p.m.

Students who want to compete need to bring five dollars and two flash fiction stories. After everybody reads their stories the top four are picked by judges. Those top four gets assorted prizes.

If students don’t want to compete there is not an admission fee to watch the competition take place.

“One of the judges also is reading earlier that day at the Plains Writers Series,” Christensen said. “Jerry Wilson is going to be one of the judges from that event, and there will be two others.”

According to Carr, something cool about the event is that they have a local musician playing during the registration period. It’s not set yet who will play, but someone on campus is being considered.

Chloe Dubois, the slam master, who heads the project, is in charge of advertising the event and choosing a theme for the event. Dubois also heads the gathering donations for prizes.

The event happens in strong part because of the students in Carr’s editing and publishing classes. They help organize and run the event. They also put together the prize baskets.

For more information about this and other events, go to wscpress.com.