“Let it Snow” is cliché but relatable

Emma Gardner, Staff Writer

“Let it Snow,” one of Netflix’s latest originals, wholeheartedly embraces the Hallmark nature of holiday movies, along with every other cliché seen in a romantic comedy, ever.

The movie takes place on Christmas Eve in the Midwest and is comprised of an indefinite number of storylines that barely collide at the end of the film, as all the characters meet up at the local waffle house for a party thrown by high schoolers.

The premise of the movie is based on an unexpected snowstorm, which leads the high school characters to act unpredictably as well, helping them find love and happiness.

In the first scene, one high school senior makes fun of his friend for taking forever to tell his best friend about his true feelings. After she walks in on him shaving his nipple hairs, he doesn’t end up summoning the courage to tell her until the end of the movie, when they’re standing alone on a rooftop and snow is falling all around them, of course.

Another storyline starts off strong with a meet-cute scene, where a teenage girl, troubled by the prospects of leaving her sick mother for the opportunity of a lifetime, bumps into a famous musician on a train. She acts unimpressed by his fame and music, but of course he wins over her heart in the end. The audience is supposed to ignore the fact that she is in high school and he is a decorated celebrity who looks at least 10 years older than her.

The next storyline is based on a girl, who looks and acts just like Mila Kunis at the beginning of “That 70’s Show,” and her struggle to find her self-worth beyond her cell phone and good-for-nothing boyfriend. After an overly dramatic scene between her and her best friend, she falls down a snowbank and bumps her head, which seems to knock the sense into her.

Despite all the clichés and the lack of transitions, the movie has a very familiar feel to it, and is full of scenes that each viewer can relate to in some way. Numerous holiday traditions make an appearance throughout the film, such as sledding, broomball, family dinners, and more.

If you’re interested in “Let it Snow” but don’t really have 92 minutes to waste, you can find the trailer on Netflix, which gives away the entirety of the few clever punchlines and most of the plot.