Uptown Brewery needs improvement

Kori's Food Reviews

Back to Article
Back to Article

Uptown Brewery needs improvement

Kori Siebert, Staff Writer

This past weekend I drove the long drive of 31 miles to Stanton, Nebraska, to check out the Uptown Brewery. With the brewaery being in a small town I figured I could dress for comfort not for style, but this brewery was way fancier than I thought. My boyfriend and I sat down in the café part, which was much more relaxed for our gym shorts and t-shirts. The other side was more of an elegant restaurant style; table cloths were covering the tables and lights were hanging. The place was old, antiquey, and there was wood literally everywhere.

Since the school year is winding down and food reviews are coming to an end, I thought I would splurge on the shrimp scampi, but for $13.95 I just couldn’t justify it — so I went with a little the less expensive $9.95 seafood stuffed mushrooms. I was trying to be adventurous without spending a fortune, but I probably should have spent my fortune.

To start off, a salad came with my entrée, so I went to the very tiny salad bar and got my cold fresh salad — no croutons, so I was very sad. Anyway, not sure if our meals were taking a long time or if the staff was just really friendly, but they let my boyfriend and I get some pancakes from the buffet. The pancakes were amazing, let me tell you, I should have had that as my entrée, but they didn’t even offer it.

When our meals did come, I was a little sad with the portion size. I had seven regular sized mushrooms stuffed with seafood, and no extra side. My boyfriend got a grilled chicken sandwich, no side, so depressing.

Anyway, the mushrooms were upside down and carved out and stuffed to the brim with seafood. The type of seafood wasn’t written out on the menu, but I was guessing it was crab, I could be wrong so don’t quote me on that.

The seven mushrooms were covered in a light-colored orange sauce that was very thick. I have no idea what it was, but it was interesting. There was paprika sprinkled over top of everything to finish it off. The sauce had a weird type of lumpy texture, the mushrooms were mushy but leathery, and the seafood was watery and stringy.

All in all, it was packed with flavor that I feel only a person with an acquired taste could appreciate. Being the broke, non-cultured college student that I am, I do not have that acquired taste. After four mushrooms, I was done; I couldn’t finish the rest, so I paid a lot of money for not a lot of food.

I ended up paying even more money for a piece of cheesecake so I could eat something else and hopefully get full. I didn’t get full, but the cheesecake was pretty decent. It was just plain cheese cake and they had different sauces they could drizzle on, but we chose chocolate and caramel.

In the end, I feel like I was being too adventurous and maybe if I had tried something “normal,” I would have been more impressed. They should give you more food (and honestly a side because what entrée doesn’t have a side, not counting the salad). They also don’t have that much on their menu but advertise as “Norfolk’s best restaurant, is in Stanton.” They should add more of a variety, cut down the price, and I’d be back in a heartbeat to try and redeem my bad first impression of this restaurant.   

About the Contributor
Kori Siebert, Photo editor

Kori Siebert is from Benedict, NE and graduated from Heartland Community Schools in 2017. She is currently a sophomore and is majoring in Speech Communications...

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Uptown Brewery needs improvement”

1. LiAnn on April 10th, 2019 8:55 pm

I have ate at the uptown brewery 3 times. I was not impressed the first 2 but thought one more.try. nope. I even ordered there ‘amazing prime rib,” it was fatty and had no flavor. Got maybe a half of ice cream scoop of potatoes that were cold. Next time you are in Stanton go to the Wolf:s Den, it is a bar and they have the best food. You will be impressed, plus for a college student you will have left overs. Have your boyfriend bet the double bacon cheeseburger!!!

2. Kelly Marbach on April 11th, 2019 10:05 am

The Uptown does have a large menu for the size kitchen they have. Their prices are the same or only a couple dollars over fast food prices if you want shrimp or seafood. The prices also reflect food made from scratch, and the “tiny” salad bar contains food made by hand with locally grown organic greens and veggies. “I got sad” when I read this review, but hopefully people won’t take it seriously. The Uptown takes food seriously, and the owners are committed to providing local people with a place to sit down and enjoy a “fancy” meal or have a proper pint of Guinness with a salty snack. I admire and value authenticity over “getting full”.

3. Angela on April 11th, 2019 9:36 pm

I agree that the UpTown is not that awesome, i think its kind of a snobby place and much rather go that an establishment that has customer service and great food not either or, plus ive heard way to many behind the secnes horror tales of that place when IT was in Norfolk

*

• Uptown Brewery needs improvement

Arts & Entertainment

Earth Day celebrated with documentary

• Uptown Brewery needs improvement

Arts & Entertainment

El Rodeo in Norfolk makes Siebert a burrito-lover

• Arts & Entertainment

Modern elements save Netflix’s ‘The Perfect Date’ from total mediocrity

• Uptown Brewery needs improvement

Arts & Entertainment

Brass band livens up WSC

• Uptown Brewery needs improvement

Arts & Entertainment

New Eilish album tops charts and hearts

• Arts & Entertainment

Hulu releases new crime-drama series

• Uptown Brewery needs improvement

Arts & Entertainment

Seven seniors display work in senior art show

• Uptown Brewery needs improvement

Arts & Entertainment

Siebert loves the new Magic Wok

• Arts & Entertainment

Logic’s surprise soundtrack is a failed exploration of new genres

• Uptown Brewery needs improvement

Arts & Entertainment

Individual elements of “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” fail to coalesce