‘Happy Death Day’ sequel deemed successful

Alex Retzlaff, Reporter

Universal Studios delivered a gift to horror fans when they released “Happy Death Day 2 U” in theaters on Feb. 13.

Developed by Universal Studios and Blumhouse Productions, “Happy Death Day 2 U” is a mystery slasher and a sequel to “Happy Death Day,” which released in 2017 to critical success. The sequel follows college student Tree Gelbman as she finds herself stuck in a parallel universe after she discovers her boyfriend’s roommate altering time. Tree must now find a way to fix the time loop and return home to her dimension while avoiding a new killer.

The sequel earned a 68 percent rating on “Rotten Tomatoes,” with the site calling the sequel a “funnier follow-up with a sci-fi bent.” Despite the apparent success, reviews for ‘Happy Death Day 2 U’ were mixed. Glenn Kenny, a critic for the New York Times, wrote that the movie was filled with “unfunny self-parodying gore slapstick.”

“‘Happy Death Day 2 U’ adds a genre twist to the series’ formula, delivering a sequel that’s funnier, sillier and more entertaining than the first movie,” Sandy Schaefer, a critic for Screen Rant, said.
The original “Happy Death Day” was released on Oct. 13, 2017, and follows Gelbman as she finds herself reliving her birthday repeatedly while attempting to escape a killer. The film fared slightly better on “Rotten Tomatoes” than its sequel, earning a 72 percent and grossing 125.5 million dollars at the box office.

As a fan of the first movie, I found the sequel equally—if not more—entertaining. The main characters developed well over the film, and I felt pleased to meet new characters as well. The comedy was also hysterical. The film does a great job with its twists, and I found my expectations blown away multiple times. Though I’m not really a fan of time travel or alternate universes, this film had me second-guessing practically everything from the first film, including the identity of the killer. However, every film has its flaws and this sequel is no different. The film’s horror elements felt a tad predictable, and the ending felt painstakingly rushed, especially compared to the previous film’s ending.