Dr. Phil alum matures, becomes ‘Bhad Bhabie’

Back to Article
Back to Article

Originally know as the “cash me outside girl,” Danielle Bregoli, who goes by the stage name “Bhad Bhabie,” is the youngest female rapper to have a single on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.

Atlantic Records

Atlantic Records

Atlantic Records

Kaitlynn Breeden, Reporter

Danielle Bregoli has been a pop culture phenomenon since 2016 when she was on “Dr. Phil.” I don’t know why or how, but Bregoli signed with Atlantic Records and became the youngest female rapper to have a single on the Billboard Hot 100 chart with her debut single “These Heaux.”

“These Heaux” isn’t bad, but it’s not particularly good either. Lyrically, it’s kind of trash, and the verses sound like a middle school girl talking shit on her friend. But the chorus is pretty good for being her first single and the beat is fairly solid.

Many knew her as “Cash me outside girl,” but when she signed with Atlantic she made the stage name “Bhad Bhabie.” Her debut album “15” features guest appearances from rappers like Lil Baby, Lil Yatchy, Ty Dolla $ign and YG.

“Gucci Flip Flops” featuring Lil Yatchy is the song most people know from the album. Lil Yatchy himself is a whole other anomaly, but for some reason the both of them together worked. One of my roommates is a big fan of the song and likes to randomly yell the lyrics at me. So even though I’m slightly traumatized, I don’t hate it.

“Gucci Flip Flops” debuted at no. 15 on the Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100 chart. The Bubbling Under Hot 100 ranks the Top 25 songs that haven’t appeared on the actual Hot 100.

If I was fortunate enough to be able to pick a favorite off the album I’d go with “Geek’d,” a song featuring Lil Baby. One of my friends played it in her car and I was confused about why I actually liked it. The song is only two minutes long, so it doesn’t give you a lot of time to not like it.

“Bestie” and “Babyface Savage” are Bhad Bhabie’s two newest singles. “Bestie” kind of makes me uncomfortable just because the word “bestie” grosses me out. The name “Babyface Savage” is also super cringe worthy, but I listened to it and it actually surprised me. Her flow is significantly different in this song compared to her other ones.

Most of Bhad Bhabie’s verses are just her repeating herself, but I could listen to “Babyface Savage” in the car and be into it. Tory Lanez features on the track and his verse is also pretty solid. “Bestie” is more upbeat, and I can see it being played at a sorority function. I can also see it being played in the back of a video montage on a girls Instagram for her best friend’s birthday.

So, is Bhad Bhabie really that bad? A lot of people like to make fun of her because she’s an easy target, but I don’t think she’s the worst. I could name five SoundCloud rappers who are considerably worse than her. How she acts can be slightly off-putting, but she’s been trying to make herself a decent rapper, which I can respect.

About the Writer
Kaitlynn Breeden, Graphic Designer

Kaitlynn Breeden is from Fremont, Nebraska and graduated from Fremont High in 2018. She is a freshman and is majoring in Journalism and Mass Communications....