Comedy troupe visits WSC

Julia Baxter, Reporter

Second City, arguably one of the most well-known skit and improv comedy clubs in the nation, made a visit to Wayne State College last Wednesday to make students and community members alike double over in laughter with their show, “It’s Not You, It’s Me.”

The show featured six actors, Julia Morales, Jenelle Cheyne, Jo Scott, Lilliana Winkworth, Andrew Bolduc, and Dan Bazaldua who each brought their own individual character and comedic styles to the different pieces of the performance.

The show was a compilation of different preplanned skits, partially planned improvisations, and completely improvised skits thought up on the spot. Many times during the show, the actors would start with the outline of a skit and then ask for audience participation regarding the details, like what happened to one character’s ex-girlfriend (she got eaten by a monster), or what horrible secret one character was hiding (the fact that he has two heads).

From joke to joke and skit to skit, the audience was incredibly involved and loving every minute, or at least, I was. Their wide variety of comedy included different lengths of jokes, different subject matter, and different portrayals of character. From the awkward teen romance of the sewer prom, the lewd humor of the airline joke, and the obvious humor of Captain Harpoon (who killed many people with his harpoons), the show was hilarious from beginning to end.

With the performance, the actors also held two different workshops on campus open to students, one of which was an improvisation workshop where students built their improv skills through different exercises and games.

As a member of the workshop led by Morales and Cheyne, I can say that the experience was incredibly fun and a great way to learn about the different ins and outs of improv before the show. The games were fun, inclusive, and really helped me learn a lot about improv while still being able to enjoy my own sense of humor as well as the humor of the other group participants.

The fun flow of the workshop and the creative (and oftentimes ridiculous) humor that filled the performance left many in the audience, including myself, craving more. The show never felt slow or sluggish and always kept the audience and the actors on their toes. The show even ended with a student couple being called to the stage so the group could reenact their first date, filled with a religious set of parents, a nonchalant shoulder touch, and laughter for all those involved.

The show and the actors made the entire experience completely unique, fantastic and easily enjoyable.