Rush week anxiety

Kaitlynn Breeden, Reporter

Joining a sorority has been a weird experience, to say the least. My roommate Rylee wanted to join a sorority, and because I’m a supportive friend and a pushover, that meant I was joining too.

Being a good friend meant walking into a room of overly enthusiastic college girls and trying not to have a panic attack. When we walked in it felt like I got caught stealing something, because everybody turned to look at us. Everyone staring at us made me wish I didn’t forget to take my anxiety medication like I always do.

The first night was super awkward, but it could only go up, right? So, funny story, the next day when we met up we had to do a scavenger hunt, which consisted of running through the student center and embarrassing myself.

Part of that included running through the cafeteria and taking pictures with strangers, making a human pyramid in the lower gag, and asking random guys what their best pick-up lines were. Though I almost cried from cringing too hard, my group won and we all were given a bag of gummy worms.

After a week of rushing, we had to go through an interview. So, I walked into a dark room, and was led to a seat in the middle with everyone else sitting around me in a big rectangle. Everyone took turns asking me questions about my personal strengths and weaknesses— while we were still sitting in the dark, by the way.

Shockingly, I made it past the creepy interview and had to go to the induction ceremony. Keeping in mind, I had bronchitis, but went to this ceremony anyway because I couldn’t get out of it. I wore a dress even though it was 12 degrees outside and I couldn’t breathe because of my illness.

This was now my second time walking into a dark room and standing in a circle. Candles were passed out to all of the new people, and they were lit as poems about friendship and the sisterhood were read. Reminder: I still had bronchitis, so I was trying not to laugh because I couldn’t catch my breath, and was afraid I would accidentally blow my candle out.

I’m now considered a pledge, which just means that I’m officially a new member. Though, so far, I’ve been uncomfortable seven out of the ten times we have had meetings, it’s actually been a fun experience. My biggest reason behind joining was so Rylee wouldn’t have to go alone, but I also thought joining would help me become less anxious in social situations.

Even though the introduction stuff is embarrassing, everyone’s really nice and I would recommend joining if you need something to participate in on campus or just want to make more friends.

About the Writer
Kaitlynn Breeden, Graphic Designer

Kaitlynn Breeden is from Fremont, Nebraska and graduated from Fremont High in 2018. She is a freshman and is majoring in Journalism and Mass Communications....