Departments move back to the library

Emmalee Scheibe, Staff Writer

The Teaching and Learning Technology Department has moved back into Conn Library, and the Holland Academic Success Center will soon be there as well.

“We used to be set up a little differently,” said Edmund Elfers, director of Teaching and Learning. “We used to be in the basement of the library, and when the construction started in the library we moved to Connell Hall.”

The lab is equipped with eight computers that have specialized programs, including Adobe Creative Suite. Everyone is welcome to come use the computers. One computer has an 11 x 17 scanner.

“We are a part of Network and Technology Services (NATS) that works directly with faculty on educational technology,” Elfers said. “We are the on-campus support for NATS.”

They also have two new rooms that will be used to help teachers develop their classrooms with more interactive technology.

“Our main thing is that we train and support faculty who are teaching online classes,” Elfers said.

The department holds training sessions at the beginning of each semester. It can train faculty on anything from how to post grades on Sakai to teaching a fully online class.

Other new additions include a video studio with a green screen, video editing, studio lighting and two active learning and technology classrooms.

“I think the video studio would be very beneficial to students,” Elfers said. “Students could use it to record themselves while doing speeches and then see how they look.”

IT specialist Jennifer Johnson does support for video conferences on campus. Among other duties She also created the help sheets on the website and also offered the Outlook help sessions. These help sessions teach students how to get Outlook on their phones and how to use it efficiently.

The teaching and learning technology lab is available on the second floor of the library in room 205.

The first floor now houses helpdesk tutors.

“The Holland Center is moving completely out of the Student Center and to the library with several help desk staff working in academic buildings as well,” senior Carla Robinson said.

This center has coaches that create a personal and confidential relationship with students to help them focus on academic goals.

They also have help desks for all areas of study on campus. Students can go to the help desks for assistance.

“I enjoy working as the Geography and History Help Desk because I enjoy helping other people learn, as well as developing better relationships with the professors I work with, and getting to meet new people,” Robinson said.

The Writing Help Desk is also a part of the Holland Academic Success Center. It is still located in the library from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8 a.m. to noon on Friday.
For more information go to www.wsc.edu/.