ACM hosts game night in Niobrara

Jordan Larsen, Staff Writer

A game night in the Niobrara room in the Student Center at Wayne State College was put on by the Association for Computer Machinery (ACM) to help build community on Feb. 1.  

The game night, which was from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., included board games and video games for community members and WSC students to use. Some of the games included Secret Hitler, Chess and Super Smash Bros, the latter of which was put onto a projector in the room.  

The games were provided mainly by the leaders of ACM, although they mentioned that people can bring some of their own personal favorite games for future events. The club also provided snacks, including a popcorn bar, pretzels and lemonade for students as well. 

The games were spread out across the entirety of the room, with students breaking off into tables to interact with others and to play the games. Students could come and go in between each game and could try out many of the games provided at the event. Many conversations were had between the members of the club and other students who attended, many of which were about their personal lives to connect with each other.  

Steven Hornberg, the president of ACM, had this to say about why the game night was put on.  

“The purpose of game night is to join students together with fun activities, the games, and have a little bit of publicity and fun for ACM,” Hornberg said.  

ACM is a campus club focused on showcasing computer skills to unite people with similar interests. The club is ran primarily through the leadership of students and has an emphasis on community and building up and showcasing various computer-related skills.  

“ACM is a club run by students to help foster their computer skills and talents generally through projects, resources, or events that we put on,” Hornberg said. 

ACM, like other clubs on campus, has regular meetings and events for students to attend. They post announcements for their events on the announcement board in the Kanter Student Center by the information desk on the first floor.  

Hornberg had a few pieces of information about their club and what they do for their students.  

“We have weekly meetings every Thursday at 5:15 in 115 Gardner Hall,” Hornberg said.  

“Otherwise come to our events where we will sometimes have guest speakers or game nights. Another way would be to join the Microsoft teams and participate in student-led projects.” 

“I didn’t know what to expect when I came to the game night, but I left having a lot of fun and met a lot of great people here,” Annie Dahir, a WSC student who attended the event, said. “It’s a great event to decompress from the stresses of the week and I would recommend it to anyone looking for community.”