Cat Power embodies Bob Dylan in new Album

“Cat Power Sings Dylan – The 1966 Royal Albert Hall Concert” is an authentic cover album of American folk legend, Bob Dylan’s monumental concert at London’s Royal Albert Hall in 1996. 

Chan (pronounced Shawn) Marshall is known publicly as Cat Power. Power is an alternative artist who is widely known for her past covers of well-known artists like James Brown and the Rolling Stones, whose music career began in the late 90s. Power’s musical style consists of a collection of Blues, Folk, and Experimental Rock, which adds an emotional depth to the abstract lyrics in Dylan’s setlist. 

The album contains 15 recordings of a detailed recreation of Dylan’s historic concert and was performed in front of a live audience by Power, at London’s Royal Albert Hall in November of 2022. The most memorable hits, out of the album include Dylan hits like “Desolation Row” and “Like a Rolling Stone.” For Power, the new album is about giving respect to Bob Dylan and developing her own confidence as a performer, according to an article published in “American Songwriter.”  

In my opinion, this cover album is the greatest and most passionate cover album to come out in every category, from its style to the sound of the album. The vocals that are presented on the album still carry the same Dylan sound, but Power adds her own soft-spoken yet emotional vocals to make the setlist a soul-filled escape for the entire audience. Power brings a soulful alternative sound, like artists like Lana Del Rey and Lorde. 

Bob Dylan’s singing style encompasses a flat, alluring voice that produces harsh yet relatable lyrics that everyone, could get behind, according to an article, published on Insidehook.com. Like Dylan, Cat Power incorporates Bob Dylan’s unique style, but adds an alternative edge, in a catatonic tone, that hypnotizes the audience like a siren’s song. 

For those who are unfamiliar with Bob Dylan’s Royal Albert Hall Concert in 1966. This concert became a monumental part of Bob Dylan’s Career when he strayed from his traditional acoustic guitar for an electric guitar, which angered folk genre fans. This concert also did not take place at the Royal Albert Hall in the first place, but at the Manchester Free Trade Hall, according to an article published by the Associated Press.  

Cat Power’s new album is a powerful tribute that gives justified respect to a musical genius. I could see Cat Power’s Dylan album play on my own playlist. “Cat Power Sings Dylan – The 1966 Royal Albert Hall Concert” is available on most music streaming sites and on Power’s YouTube channel. 

$100
$500