Hopeful and excited Platt comes bouncing back to track and field

DaQuan Samuel, Staff Writer

From freshman track and field phenomenon to WSC mom, Shandan Platt looks to bounce back to the field after taking a season off to have a baby.

Platt, from Ainsworth, Neb., was heavily recruited coming out of high school for her throwing abilities in track and field. She received offers to compete for the University of South Dakota, Concordia and the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, but with all the offers, she still decided to come to Wayne.

“I thought Coach Brett Suckstorff would give me the best opportunity to improve myself,” Platt said. “He showed that he cared about me, not only as an athlete, but as a person.”

During her freshman season, Platt posted personal records at almost every track meet she attended. She even earned the honor to attend Nationals for both indoor and outdoor seasons.

For the National indoor competition, she shook off the jitters and threw shot-put well enough to receive 9th in the nation.

However, Platt’s outdoor season was affected by a pregnancy, and her distance in the hammer throw was less than expected after a strong start to her career.

The news that she had become pregnant shocked Platt and she was unsure how she would balance it all.

“I was nervous but knew I could do it. I knew I had good support from my teammates and the coaching staff,” Platt said.

Platt decided to take her sophomore season off to give birth and spend time with her newborn daughter.

Even with a newborn, Platt’s love for the sport had her coming back as soon as possible.

Just four months post-partum, she threw unattached at the Wayne State meet without any training for almost a year. Despite being away from the sport for so long, she only threw 13 meters under her normal marks.

That fact alone keeps Platt hopeful and excited to get back to the success she once had.

This upcoming season, she hopes to make it back to Nationals, but this time with her daughter cheering from the sidelines.