‘All in the name of science’

Wayne State students helped at the 20th annual High School Science Bowl as 31 teams competed to win free D.C. trip and entrance to national bowl

Photo courtesy of College Relations

The winners, from Lincoln East High School in Lincoln (left to right): Myan Bhoopalam, Akshay Rajagopal, Isaak Arslan, Ojus Jain, Kyle Thompson and Chris Jurich. Besides being crowned regional champions, the six won an all-expense paid trip to Washington, D.C. to compete at the National Science Bowl. Wayne State played host to the 20th annual High School Science Bowl last Saturday. WSC’s Dr. Todd Young is the head regional coordinator and WSC students volunteered as moderators, judges and kept score, helping the day roll smoothly.

Megan Tomasiewicz, Opinion Editor

The 20th annual High School Science Bowl was held last Saturday on campus, and it couldn’t have gone on without all the WSC student volunteers who pitched in to help.

The Science Bowl was started by the Department of Energy in 1991 as a way to get students interested in science. The competition, given in a quiz bowl format, is attended by area high school students who are vying for a distinguished prize—an all-expense paid trip to Washington D.C. and a chance to participate in the national competition.

Dr. Todd Young has been the head regional coordinator of the Science Bowl for three years. He wanted to extend his gratitude to both the students and faculty who helped make it all happen.

“It takes a lot of work,” Young said. “Students who volunteer must complete two hours of training and then give up their entire Saturday to help.”

The students assist in anything from reading questions, keeping time and score, judging and working the registration desk. Most are science and math majors, and some come from the Health Club.

Macy Diehl, a student majoring in pre-veterinary medicine, was one of the many volunteers.

“I worked as a moderator, which is a person who reads questions to the competitors,” she said. “I love helping with the Science Bowl. The kids are great.”

The competition is a massive group effort, all in the name of science. Thirty-one teams from twenty area high schools converged on campus with a team from Lincoln East High School taking the top prize.