Pro-life movies are emotional

Nick Ulrich, Staff Writer

Let’s start this off by saying that I’m not a religious person. It’s not that I don’t believe in any of it, I just don’t feel a need for it, and I think in some ways it damages the work people do toward a greater good. But, in any case, I’m interested in pro-life arguments. For the most part, they seem to be common sense: let’s not kill babies. But sometimes common sense is deceptive when it comes to nuanced things like this, and in those cracks and crannies where the nuanced sits, the pro-choice arguments often come out on top.

Much of the arguments and literature I have read through my years in Catholic school proved ineffective at convincing me, probably because in writing, it is much easier to focus on the ideal situation. But I was interested in what a movie might do to deal with all the nuanced realities that literature tends to throw away.

At first the movie was okay, but boring. Most of the jokes are age-appropriate, which doesn’t really amuse my immature mind, but that’s more a critique of myself than the movie. And the action moves quite slow, but when they finally show a fetus in the womb, it really is just so absolutely cute. I mean, like, if it wasn’t in whatever good thing it sits in, I would just absolutely pinch it’s weird little cheeks.

It makes sense now, I mean how could anyone do anything to that little dude. It makes me feel so sad just thinking about it. Now, I don’t even care about any of those stupid nuances I was worried about. And I have to admit, all of those beautiful poems, or prayers or whatever these religious people always call them, that was pretty amazing to hear. It made my heart beat a little harder. And even those songs I used to despise in high school somehow felt much more meaningful during the movie.

So I guess what I’m saying is, if you’re the kind of person that really likes your heart to feel good when you do something, you’d probably enjoy those pro-life movies and it might even convince you to be pro-life. In fact, I’d say that this feeling-packed movie is the most convincing pro-life thing I’ve ever seen.

But, if you’re like me and you prefer more rational talk, you might be unimpressed by all these cute wittle fetuses, and ask to hear some sort of logical premises. Unfortunately, many of the pro-choice arguments, which I tend to enjoy are more difficult to make movies about. While those rational views tend to work with literature and argumentation, the emotional is much more powerful at entertainment media like movies.

That’s why pro-life movies are so powerful. It takes all of the emotions and brings it to the front. In this way, it suppresses the rational. Perfect! Absolutely brilliant! Entertainment media to the greatest degree!