New rule causes confusion among students

Nick Ulrich, Columnist

Wayne State College students have started a new semester, turning over a new leaf in their academic lives.

While some of us still enjoy wading through the years senselessly hoping we meet all the requirements, the people who actually attempt to understand credits or their hours are lost amidst a new program. WSC has announced that they will allow students to do whatever they want and graduate with whatever degree they would like.

That’s right, ladies and gents, credit hours are not what they seem anymore. Want to get a degree in biochemistry? Take 120 credit hours of TV workshop.

Want a degree in engineering? 60 hours of art studies and 60 of music studies. This is a new level of freedom possible only in the United States of America.

The European countries want you to “learn about your trade” or “get a good education,” but here in America, it’s all about freedom.

“I’m so excited by this new rule,” commented Jasmine Stewart, a sophomore at Wayne State. “For a while, I’ve been considering getting a degree in computer science, but I was scared by all the math classes. Now I can take whatever classes I want and get the degree I deserve.”

Jasmine began her first three semesters as a music education major, but has changed since the announcement of this new rule.

She is going to work hard to get her advanced degree.

Some other students are not so excited by the new rule. Take senior Edward Dairyfairy for example: “I really enjoyed the first three semesters doing music theory and business classes,” the music industry student commented. “But now, I have to take five math classes.”

Edward explained that his knowledge on the rule was limited, but that he would do whatever it takes to graduate with his degree.

I tried explaining that he can take whatever classes he would like, but he seemed committed to the math classes.

Some teachers have shown their displeasure to the new rule, citing lack of proper education going into a field of the students’ choice.

“I think it’s pretty gosh darn stupid,” said a professor who shall remain nameless. “I’m all for freedom and doing whatever you want but I wouldn’t want any of my history students getting their degree by taking fitness classes,” he said as he adjusted his bolo tie.

The rule seems to have some mixed reactions among both students and professors, but one thing is for sure: This is a college that appreciates and loves freedom.

So I understand some of you skeptics out there might not love this new program, but real Americans like myself and Jasmine Stewart are excited for the new freedom we are granted.

Personally, I will continue taking writing classes as I have been doing, but I’m changing my major to chemistry so I can illegally brew beer in my basement, the most American job possible.