‘When magic’s about to happen’

Antonio Neves talks about creating his own luck, which helped him start working for BET, PBS and Forbes as a business journalist

• Antonio Neves, a business journalist, spoke last Thursday in the Frey Conference Suite to students about creating luck using three simple steps. These steps helped take him from being a former Nickelodeon star to working as a business reporter for companies such as Forbes.

Sarah Lentz, Staff Writer

According to speaker and business journalist Antonio Neves, anyone can manufacture his or her own luck in just three steps.

Neves spoke at Frey conference center on Jan. 30. The former Nickelodeon star, who has since gone on to work with companies like BET, PBS and Forbes as a business reporter, shared why he wants students to find success.

“If you look at the news reports and if you look at blogs, they say you don’t have a chance because the unemployment rate is so high,” Neves said. With a little luck, which Neves defines as “when opportunity meets preparation,” he said that anyone can meet their goals.

Neves explained the three steps to creating luck by sharing how he created his. The first step: getting uncomfortable.

“Uncomfortable is a combo of freaked out to the max and excited. That’s when magic’s about to happen,” said Neves.

Neves got uncomfortable by quitting a job selling cheese in Michigan and moving to New York City with only $600 in his pocket. It was a change he felt he needed to make, even if it was a risky one. To drive home his hope that everyone get uncomfortable at some point, Neves asked an audience member to share what they would do to make a change.

When WSC student Dakota Miller volunteered that he would look into the study abroad program, Neves gave him a $20 bill to further prove that those who get uncomfortable get rewarded.

The second step to building your own luck, according to Neves, is adopting a walk-on mentality.

A walk-on is someone who has to try out for a team; his or her spot is not a guarantee. Walk-ons have to work every single day. Neves developed that walk-on mentality in New York, proving to employers that he would outwork anyone.

“Be ready when opportunities present themselves. Part of being ready to take it is by having the walk-on mentality,” he said. “Finish something. Being known as a finisher gets people to trust you and go to you.”

The final step in creating your own luck, is to ask who makes you better. He also shared two types of people to be aware of.

“There are thieves of ambition and allies of glory. Thieves of ambition are happy with the status quo, they stay comfortable. Allies of glory encourage, inspire and push you to be the best version of yourself.”

Allies of glory helped Neves because they kept him accountable if he didn’t reach his goals. He also realized that he could take something from allies beside inspiration.

“Don’t be afraid to work with the best. If you’re the smartest person around you, you’re not learning anything,” Neves said.

Life isn’t easy, and Neves made no promises that it would be, but he closed his presentation with a final piece of wisdom about building luck.

“If you have a bad day, but you’ve taken those three steps, you know you have the power to get back on your feet.”