Spring Concert plans successfully underway

Amanda Krehbiel, Assistant Website Editor

If you haven’t done it already, it isn’t too late to get your ticket to the April 17 Dustin Lynch performance.

That Friday, all the hard work that the Student Activities Board (S.A.B) has put into the first spring concert in years will pay off.

Sarah Gunion, Student Activities Coordinator, is certain that the performance will be a success. Of the available 2,000 tickets, S.A.B has already given out nearly 1,300.

When Gunion took her current position in July 2014, she knew she had to do something about the spring concert, and make it better than ever.

The last concert, which was nearly four years ago, Guys Like Girls, brought in an audience of about 500—most of whom left early.

“Students made it abundantly clear that they wanted the spring concert,” she said. “I made it a priority to bring the concert back.”

The selection of artist was a delicate process of putting out polls first for genres. According to the concert’s coordinator, Asia Berg, upwards of 850 votes were for country. The second-place genre was pop—with only around 185.

“Once we narrowed a genre down, we figured out who we could afford,” Gunion said.

The S.A.B receives an annual allocation given it by Student Senate, which comes from a portion of student fees. This year the S.A.B received $150,000 to spend over the course of the year.

Dustin Lynch costs around $35,000, and once the entire production comes together, it totals around $70,000.

Both Gunion and Berg take their responsibilities for the concert seriously.

“There’s a lot of buzz around campus about this concert,” Gunion said. “People are talking about it, people seem to be excited about it.

“The fact that we’re having a concert and that we’re making an effort is a success all on its own,” Gunion said.

Because the concert is paid for with student fees, the concert is only open to Wayne State students. Event staff will not check student identification at the door, but it is required to get a ticket to the concert.