Ron Holt Award to be given to deserving graduating senior

Brenden Buskirk, Staff Writer

One fortunate graduating senior will be awarded the Ron Holt Civic Engagement Award on May 8.

Ron Holt, graduate of Wayne State and current psychiatrist in San Francisco, will be here to present the award.

This award comes with a special recognition ceremony, a very handsome trophy, and $500 in cash.

This honor is not to be mistaken with a scholarship, which is for current students.

The winner will be awarded $500 cash. There are no strings attached, no stipulations.

By the time Holt was a senior in college, he had already started a track scholarship his senior year, when he didn’t have the money. This scholarship was endowed in 2000.

Holt feels the importance of giving back to his community.

That is why the recipient of this award must be an active participant in the community.

The Ron Holt Civic Engagement Award targets a student who has made service and leadership an integral component of their college experience.

To be eligible, one must be a graduating member of the May 2015 class, have participated in at least one Service-Learning project, have extracurricular leadership roles and have a good academic standing (2.5 GPA or above).

The recipient must accept the award at the May 2015 awards and commencement ceremony.

Holt is a huge advocate of WSC, giving back in every way he can.

At Wayne State we are fortunate because our professors want us to succeed not only in the classroom, but also in life. That’s the message Holt wants to get across. He, too, wants us to succeed. He comes back every year and gives presentations to students and athletes.

Look next week on ecampus for further information about the nomination process.

Students must be nominated to receive the award. Once nominated, students will receive an email from Lisa Nelson, with instructions for the application process.