Polls

Best Overheard of the Week (01/19/2022)

• I'll be like my sister and catfish people on Farmersonly.com. She's a menace. (Upper Caf) (56%, 5 Votes)
  • It was like a wall of cheese smell. I couldn't even go in. (Humanities) (22%, 2 Votes)
  • Me being an introvert, I like to recharge my batteries. (Lower Caf) (11%, 1 Votes)
  • Dude, you guys were all over each other and I wanted to gag. (Lower Caf) (11%, 1 Votes)

Total Voters: 9

Loading ... Loading ...

WSC student turned her passion into a business

Wayne State College senior Teresa Johnson balances her busy school schedule with her passion for photography throughout the year. 

Johnson became interested in photography at a young age, even taking photos at 4-H competitions and the Iowa State fair.  

“It’s just something that I really fell in love with,” Johnson said. “A picture can tell a thousand words and the beauty behind it is – you can capture something and there’s a story behind it which is really interesting.” 

Her passion for photography really took off when a friend from back home asked Johnson to take her senior photos. Since then, Johnson has created Instagram and Facebook accounts to showcase her work. These accounts can be found at photographybytjohnson. Johnson offers a variety of sessions including family, maternity, wedding, senior photos, etc. She especially enjoys taking senior photos but finds enjoyment from all her sessions. 

“Anything with people,” Johnson said. “I love doing sessions with others compared to just nature because by interacting with individuals, I can learn who they are and what they are getting out of the session. Or say it’s senior photos, what their plans are after high school and where they’re going. Weddings are the same way; you get to see two people unite in marriage. So, it’s just really interesting to be able to capture those life moments and learn more about who they are.” 

Johnson is also involved in many clubs and organizations on WSC’s campus but manages her time well to stay ahead of schedule. She will graduate earlier than expected this December. 

“It might be busy from going to sessions and scheduling and editing, but at the end of the day I enjoy it,” Johnson said. “It’s something that I consider my self-care and, in a way, it’s something that I love so there’s always going to be that time for my photography.” 

Majoring in criminal justice and human services, Johnson is hoping to work with the Iowa State patrol but wants to continue pursuing photography. 

“I hope so, I really do,” she said. “I’ve just noticed that most of the people I usually shoot for are from back home. Most of the people I shot for were either in my class or below me. Everyone else in those classes have gone to college, I don’t really know anyone left in high school for senior photos. Part of me thinks it’ll die down and I can just focus more on weddings or bigger shoots, but I also don’t want it to slow down.” 

Donate to The Wayne Stater
$100
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Wayne State College. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.