Wayne State College Dance Team, the Aristocats, attend UDA Nationals

Wayne State College Aristocats made history this year after competing at Universal Dance Association Nationals in Orlando, Florida on Jan. 13.  

The Aristocats have shown perseverance and hard work throughout their season as the program continues to grow. Coach Taryn Thompson, a Wayne State College graduate, has been an active member in the community since completing her education. Thompson became the Aristocats coach in 2022 and has owned the Wayne Dance Company on Main Street for seven years. Thompson said the most memorable moment as a dance teacher this year was watching all her girl’s hard work unfold on the floor in front of her. Their accumulation of months of practice, the choreography learned, and the hours of hard work were all worth it for UDA Nationals.   

“I remember standing outside of the curtain hearing the crowd and the music and it just felt surreal,” Thompson said. Thompson describes the Aristocat dancers as “determined, strong, and inspiring.” The Aristocat dancers have been working to attain the funding they needed to attend nationals in Florida for two years. Thompson said the Aristocat dancers are very self-motivated and inspiring. She also credited captains, Josie Miller and Naudia Larsen, for motivating all the girls and pushing everyone to be the best they can be.  

Dancer Rachel Brown has been dancing since she was two years old and has been on the Wayne State College dance team for two years. Her passion for dance continues to grow and she said she is grateful to be a part of such an incredible program. 

“I look up to each one of my teammates in different ways,” Brown said. “Everyone is different but we all come together as a team and as friends.”  Brown said one of her favorite parts of UDA Nationals was watching division one dance teams including Minnesota and Ohio State perform and admiring their skill and level of talent.   

“I hope to see them grow and continue to prove to the school and others the talent and hard work my team has,” Brown said. This is Brown’s last year on the Aristocats.  

The Aristocats have paved a new beginning for the program this year by attending UDA Nationals and have continued to grow tremendously over the last three years. In addition to competing, the Aristocats perform at Wayne State College football and basketball games. They show excellent support to other teams and always encourage school spirit. 

$100
$500