Staff Spotlight: Jessie Piper

Jessie Piper has returned to Wayne State College this year as an FCS and ITE instructor. 

Piper has a long history with Wayne and WSC. In 1999, she graduated from WSC with her bachelor’s in Exercise Science and Wellness and Coaching. After discovering she didn’t care for the Cardiac Rehab field, she returned to WSC to pursue a degree in Family Consumer Science with a concentration in Interior design and a minor in Construction and Art.  

Upon receiving her second degree in 2003, she worked at Homestead Homes for five years and Vakoc Builder’s Resources/The Final Touch as a sales representative and interior designer for a year and a half. After being encouraged to pursue teaching, she returned to WSC to pursue her MSE in Curriculum and Instruction in Industrial Technology Education and Family Consumer Sciences. After graduating in 2010, she worked as an Internship Coordinator at WSC career services for ten years until applying for her current position as an FCS and ITE instructor. 

This semester, she is teaching two ITE courses including Architectural/Industrial Finishing and Residential Drawing and two FCS courses: Applied Concepts/Interior Design and Household Technology. 

Piper’s passion for construction and design began when she was just a child.  

“I loved watching my dad build stuff or watching the progress at construction sites as it always amazed me,” Piper said. “As I got older, I realized I enjoyed the challenge of designing good interior spaces, so interior design and drafting just seemed to be the right fit, although it took me a while to realize how I wanted to use those interests and skills.”  

Her love for construction even extends outside of her job. One of her favorite hobbies is remodeling and fixing things around her house. While working at WSC, she hopes her love for construction and teaching will inspire her students and help her build relationships with them.  

“I want to positively impact my students not only in the classroom but on a personal level as well,” Piper said. “I enjoy getting to know the students and hope that I’m able to build lasting relationships that will positively impact their life and future careers.” 

Piper’s time at WSC opened many different doors for her including many job opportunities, relationships, and experiences. Because of her long history with WSC, Piper hopes her new position will help her give back to the community and help others love WSC as much as she does.  

$100
$500