Wayne State Battles Winter Storms as the Spring Semester Begins

As students returned to campus for the Spring 2024 semester, they were met with heavy snowfall and below-freezing temperatures resulting in classes being canceled on Jan. 9 and Jan. 12.  

“This weather has been brutal lately,” sophomore Braden Cannon said. “If I take a shower in the morning, my hair freezes during my walk from the parking lot to class.” 

When class resumed, students still had to battle slippery conditions on the road and sidewalks to make it to class. Many students found themselves stuck in the snow and unable to leave their homes or parking spots. 

“It’s affected me by making it hard to get around and drive to class,” Cannon said. “I got stuck a lot. Personally, I don’t like driving in the snow, so it’s been tough getting to class. Luckily, I can normally hitch a ride with one of my roommates.” 

Students had to keep themselves busy while they were snowed in and the roads were covered.  

“Me and a couple of my buddies tied a rope to the back of a truck and went sledding,” Cannon said. “We kind of just made the most out of the opportunity with no class.” 

“We watched a lot of movies in the dorms,” freshman Ella Myler said. “Too many to count, but that’s all we could do.” 

While everyone was stuck inside, a few braved the weather to clear the streets and parking lots in Wayne. Those few woke up early to plow and shovel so that students and faculty could attend class safely and on time. Many students found themselves stuck in the snow and had to rely on good samaritans to dig them out. 

“I appreciate them clearing the roads for us and I’m really grateful for them,” Cannon said. “Somebody has to do it but there aren’t many people who want to.” 

The next few weeks look warmer for Wayne as the winter storms have passed and temperatures will rise to highs of 35 degrees or more. Students are looking forward to the snow melting and warmer temperatures. 

“I’m ready for this snow to go away,” Cannon said. “I don’t want to feel like I’m going to be blown away every time I walk to class.” 

$100
$500