Upcoming education fair offers employment connections

Education majors are strongly encouraged to attend the Education Fair in the Kanter Student Center on Jan. 31 to make connections with possible future employers.  

The education fair will be held from 10 a.m.-1 p.m., and over 80 school districts will attend the fair including schools from Omaha, Lincoln, Iowa and many other locations.  

The fair was once included with the career fair but has since been separated into its own event. The fall of 2021 is when the education department and career services started to collaborate. Since then, it has grown in numbers and size.  

Brook Jech, who organizes the fair with the help of career services, believes a large contributing factor to the growth of the fair is the teacher shortage. The number of districts has grown since last fall, going from 60 districts to 80. Many steps have been taken to improve the fair, such as multiple check-in stations and booths being mapped out, as well as another hour being added to the event.  

Before attending the fair, students are strongly encouraged to download the Handshake app. 

“On the student side, there is a big benefit for them,” Molly McCoy said. “We will be using Handshake QR code check-in at the fair. Each employer has registered through Handshake and will have a QR code for that booth. You as a student can scan that QR code to check in with them.”  

All students majoring in education are strongly encouraged to attend the fair, but some education classes require it.  

“We want students to practice their professional communication skills and get an idea where they want to do their experience,” Brook Jech said when asked why education majors are encouraged to attend. “We are super thankful for our partnering districts. This fair is something we do to help them.” 

“I want to reiterate that this is a great opportunity for students to meet future employers, for first-year students and seniors,” McCoy said. “The education fair provides many resources and opportunities to students who are aspiring teachers.”  

$100
$500