Wildcats Fall to No. 8 Bluejays in an Exhibition Game

Wayne State College men’s basketball traveled to Omaha, Neb. Friday night to face off in an exhibition game against Division I Creighton University. 

The Bluejays downed the Wildcats 95-48 in a game CU never trailed Friday evening at CHI Health Center in Omaha.  

“To play back in Omaha in front of a lot of my best friends and family was amazing I truly felt their support,” Wayne State College sophomore guard David Harmon said. 

The Bluejays opened up with two buckets to start the game. The team lead 7-2 until Wildcat guard Alec Millender cashed in a three pointer to cut down the lead to just two points at the 18:14 mark of the first half. CU then went on an 11-point scoring run while holding WSC scoreless for 4:48 until the lone Wildcat transfer Trey Deveaux scored a pullup jumper snapping the Bluejays scoring run. 

Freshman Wildcat and Omaha native JJ Ferrin scored a jumper at the midway point of the first half making the score 27-11. No. 8 Creighton cashed in 11 first half 3-pointers on their way to a 49-24 halftime score. 

Creighton’s Trey Alexander and Deveaux traded baskets to open the second half.  Then the Bluejays reeled off eight straight points leading into a 59-26 lead at the first media timeout of the second half. After the teams traded more buckets, Millender and Harmon scored consecutive baskets to make the score 69-39. The Bluejays ended the game on a 26-9 run to end the game, with the final score at 95-48. 

WSC ended the game making 19 of 62 shots for 30.6 percent, including 2-for-12 behind the arc.  The Wildcats were 8 of 12 at the free throw line.  

Deveaux led the Wildcats with 14 points and a team-high six rebounds while Milender also hit double figures with 13 points on 6-for-11 shooting.  

For Creighton, Trey Alexander poured in a game-high 22 points while Steven Ashworth, Baylor Scheierman and Jonathan Lawson each chipped in 12 points. The Bluejays ended the night shooting 52.9 percent from the field making 36 of 68 shots.  Creighton was 16-for-38 from 3-point range and 7 of 12 at the free throw line. 

Creighton held a 51-31 advantage in rebounding.  WSC had 10 turnovers in the game to nine for the Bluejays.  

Millender had three of Wayne State’s seven steals in the contest.  

“Creighton was just so much bigger than us it made it difficult to rebound but there is obviously no excuse,” Harmon said. 

The Wildcats will be looking to use this exhibition game as a starting point to figure out their strengths and weaknesses and to figure out what lineups worked best for them.  

“I think we did good job of executing our game plans and stopping their big man but their other players were just so talented,” Harmon said. 

WSC went 18-11 overall and 13-9 in conference play last season. The Wildcats will be looking to repeat the same success from last season and win another NSIC South Division title and make the NSIC Tournament once again. 

Wayne State opens the regular season on Friday, Nov. 10 at the Puerto Rico Classic in San Juan, P.R. facing Sagrado Corazon at 10 a.m. 

$100
$500