A look into Covid-19 today 

Northeast Nebraska and other public health departments are not tracking the number of COVID-19 cases anymore, but certain recommendations are still in place for those who contract the virus.  

COVID-19 began its surge in 2020 resulting in lockdowns across the world.  Three years later, the world can look back to see how much the virus has changed over time and what protocols are in place to keep everyone healthy. Here at Wayne State College, instructors were creative as lockdowns began to keep students engaged in the classroom.  

Student health nurse Kathy Bird continues to educate and assist students with COVID-19. Student health offers at-home test kits for any students that may feel symptoms or have been exposed to someone with symptoms of the virus.  

“We have the same recommendations in place as before,” Bird said. “You should isolate for 5 days then wear a mask an additional 5 days when you come back to class or activities.” 

Bird says if a student does contract COVID-19, they are able to email or reach out to her and she will get in contact with your professors. The CDC states that symptoms can appear between 2-14 days after the initial exposure to the virus.  

“These symptoms include fever or chills, cough, shortness of breath, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, nausea, sore throat, congestion, and runny nose,” according to the CDC. The symptoms the CDC believes need additional medical attention are trouble breathing, new confusion, inability to stay awake, pale, gray or blue-colored skin and pressure in the chest.  

“COVID is always going to be out there, it’s similar almost to a flu season,” Bird said. “Individuals with underlying health conditions are more at risk when exposed to the virus.”  

According to Mayo Clinic, COVID and the flu can lead to many serious and even life-threatening complications. Pneumonia, acute respiratory disease, organ failure, heart attacks and stroke were listed in a Mayo Clinic article discussing COVID vs. flu similarities and differences. While having similarities, the flu appears within 1-4 days while COVID appears 2-14 days from when symptoms began.  

There are many preventative measures to protect yourselves from contracting COVID-19 or the flu this coming season. It is recommended by Mayo Clinic that you avoid close contact with those who are sick as well as touching your eyes, nose and mouth.  

$100
$500