The Voice

There are 6,122 people in Wayne all with different personalities and voices. But there may be one voice more famous than all of them. The voice of Aaron Scheffler. The Columbus, Nebraska native is the voice of Wayne state sports events for KTCH/KCTY. 

Scheffler has been interested in calling games since high school when, in his senior year, he was challenged with running the music and public address announcer for his high school’s home baseball games. Scheffler continued to explore the broadcasting route in college, and he attended WSC in 2010 and announced home sporting events for the cats during his tenure.  

“One of my top memories was being able to travel down to San Antonio, Texas for the 2012 NCAA division II elite 8 women’s basketball tournament” Scheffler said. 

Scheffler continues to announce Wildcat sporting events. Announcing can always come with its challenges and with the challenge of announcing almost every sport for the Wildcat’s teams, it’s almost impossible to pick a favorite. 

“I enjoy them all, I’m not one to pick a team and say, ‘that’s my team’ Unless its Wayne State College playing, then Go Cats,” Scheffler said. 

A lot goes into being prepared to announce a sporting event here in Wayne. It all starts with Scheffler setting up his microphone and his notes for the game. These notes include charts, rosters and team information, which he continues to update weekly. Although, with all the experience, Scheffler still finds himself scrambling to make sure he is always prepared for the event. 

“I always unpack and repack my broadcast bag to make sure I have the correct equipment for the event,” Scheffler said. 

Scheffler’s main responsibility is primarily being the voice for WSC athletics, but his skillset stretches far further than just working for WSC. Not only does he announce for the Wildcats, but he will frequently announce for Wayne High School. One of his largest responsibilities is being the full time News and sports director at KTCH/KCTY where he follows Wayne news and sports events. During the fall, Scheffler covered 32 out of the 43 sporting events with more to come. 

“I’m looking forward to the next sports season where I mainly focus on broadcasting nearly 50 men’s and women’s Wayne State College basketball games.” Scheffler said. 

Broadcasting in sports is very important for those who may not be able to make it to the game, and the voice of Aaron Scheffler is consistently there to give the radio and the people listening or watching from home an amazing experience while supporting their Wayne State College Wildcats. 

“Wayne State College sporting events and just to be involved in passing along that information really keeps me going,” Scheffler said. 

$100
$500