Polls

Best Overheard of the Week (01/19/2022)

• I'll be like my sister and catfish people on Farmersonly.com. She's a menace. (Upper Caf) (56%, 5 Votes)
  • It was like a wall of cheese smell. I couldn't even go in. (Humanities) (22%, 2 Votes)
  • Me being an introvert, I like to recharge my batteries. (Lower Caf) (11%, 1 Votes)
  • Dude, you guys were all over each other and I wanted to gag. (Lower Caf) (11%, 1 Votes)

Total Voters: 9

Loading ... Loading ...

Back in action

The Wayne State women’s basketball team was back in action for the first time in rice auditorium on Wednesday, Oct. 18 in an exhibition match vs the Iowa Western Reivers. 

The exhibition match had an interesting format, playing four quarters but resetting the score after each quarter. This was the first time the Wildcats took the floor together with newcomers in the forms of freshman and transfers looking to make an immediate impact for the Wildcats. 

The Wildcats came out in a back and forth first quarter of the scrimmage being highlighted by a huge edition for the Wildcats, Britney Ho, a Wichita native and transfer from Newman University. Before transferring to Wayne, Ho was named All-MIAA third team in 2022-2023, while competing at Newman. The graduate student averaged 17.8 and 6.6 rebounds in 28 contests in 2022-2023. Ho made an instant impact as she pulled down multiple offensive and defensive rebounds for the Wildcats while also making strong moves to basket and getting easy buckets for the Wildcats.  

The transfers for the Wildcats are looking to change the game as soon as the season tips off, and that was evident with junior Jordon Heckert, another transfer from Newman University. In 2022-23 Heckert averaged 5.7 and highlighted a 30-point contest vs Emporia state. The junior guard shot 45.9% from the field and a staggering 46.2% from the 3-point line. Heckert showed her elite ball handling ability using crafty moves to get to the basket and to get open for shots off of the dribble. The Wildcats expect Heckert to make strides in helping them this year. 

“The newcomers have meshed so well with us in the preseason it will be amazing to see what they make out of the season and to see how they match up in our conference.” Junior guard Tate Norblade said. 

Another huge factor in the scrimmage was Norblade. This is a great sign for the Wildcats. as Norblade suffered a season ending injury last season after playing in nine games and four starts. Norblade started the scrimmage running the point for the Wildcats. The defensive specialist hounded the Reivers throughout the whole game, with multiple steals and good defensive plays on the ball. 

“It feels so good to be back,” Norblade said. “Even though I was sidelined, I’ve been able to watch and learn a lot about the game and the way my teammates play. And I’m ready to contribute more than I ever have this season.”  

The Wildcats have many transfers and newcomers but do not allow that to overshine the production of the returners. During the scrimmage, Wayne was without junior Abby Kopecky, and junior Maya Fitzpatrick being sidelined for unknown reasons. Even without 2 of their star players Junior Delaney Clark would catch absolute fire knocking down three after three throughout the game. Clark shot 36% from the three-point line last season and looks to increase that percentage. Clark has emerged as a leader for the Wildcats, often huddling up the team while also allowing her play to do a lot of the talking for her. 

The Wildcats have been practicing for a couple months now and this was their first time matching up against someone other than themselves. But their practices have conditioned them for these situations. 

“Our practices are ultra-competitive, to the point where we even scout each other and know what each other can do and that really helps us on the court against other teams” Norblade said. 

The Wildcats were recently projected to finish 10th in the NSIC, and they will travel to South Dakota to play an exhibition match versus the University of South Dakota Coyotes on Oct. 30. 

Donate to The Wayne Stater
$100
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Wayne State College. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.