Polls

Best Overheard of the Week (01/19/2022)

• I'll be like my sister and catfish people on Farmersonly.com. She's a menace. (Upper Caf) (56%, 5 Votes)
  • It was like a wall of cheese smell. I couldn't even go in. (Humanities) (22%, 2 Votes)
  • Me being an introvert, I like to recharge my batteries. (Lower Caf) (11%, 1 Votes)
  • Dude, you guys were all over each other and I wanted to gag. (Lower Caf) (11%, 1 Votes)

Total Voters: 9

Loading ... Loading ...

Haven House volleyball tournament for domestic violence awareness month

Haven House and the Student Activities Board are partnering together to rally against domestic violence by hosting their first annual volleyball tournament on Oct. 24 at 5 p.m. at the Wayne Community Activity Center. 

All are welcome to register for this year’s volleyball tournament. To sign up, either scan the QR codes on the fliers around campus or email Katie Gannon at [email protected]. Entries are free but signups do close on Oct. 18 at 5 p.m. Each team can have a max of seven people, with at least three men and three women. The tournament will be double elimination with drinks and snacks provided. More details available at https://cglink.me/2qs/r375080 

Haven House works with anyone who goes through domestic violence, sexual assault, human trafficking, stalking or harassment. Katie Gannon, outreach coordinator for Haven House, said all services are free and confidential. Haven House is a safe place for people to go if they would like to keep these issues separate from their everyday lives.  

“With October and domestic violence awareness month, I can do a presentation, I can do a speech, which is a lot of the time what’s done,” Gannon said. “With me being the new outreach coordinator, I really wanted to join the community and our students at Wayne State College, just to have a good time but also to know what else could be going on in the community that we don’t know about. I just wanted to still make it fun but make it educational and know that they’re there for a purpose.” 

The tournament will start around 5 p.m. on Oct. 24. It will be at the Wayne Community Activity Center. Before the tournament starts, all participants will sign a pledge to stand up against domestic violence, Gannon said, . Participants will also learn more about Haven House along with other sponsors, just to spread awareness on why the tournament is important, Gannon said. 

Haven House and SAB are also partnered with STRIVE, Northeast Nebraska Insurance Agency, F&M Bank, State Nebraska Bank & Trust, and State Farm, according to the website. 

“We were really lucky with our sponsors because they support Haven House so well,” Gannon said. “I had on original event planned and I said, ‘Hey, things change, I couldn’t do that event anymore. How would you feel about a volleyball tournament?’ And all the answers that I have gotten is that we support Haven House no matter what, so whatever you do, we’re on board.” 

Student teams will also be eligible for prizes.  

“Since it is so close to Halloween, we were like you know, it would be a lot of fun if we had somewhat of a tie to Halloween,” Gannon said. “So it’s not just about domestic violence, it’s also about having fun, hanging out with your friends, and playing a game. So with best costume, we thought that it would be a good idea to do a $30 gift card to the thrift warehouse here in town. Thrifting is really in, people love to go shopping, and just to kind of bring awareness to our local businesses. I just feel like that’s pretty important, especially when you’re in such a small town and a college in such a small town.” 

Donate to The Wayne Stater
$100
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Wayne State College. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.